Public Works Director/City Engineer
2 days left
- Organization Type
Under administrative direction from the Deputy City Manager, plans, directs and reviews the activities and operations of the Public Works/Engineering Department (Department), including technical and professional engineering, maintenance services for streets, utilities, parks, landscape, fleet and facilities, and assigned activities with other City Departments and outside agencies. Provides highly responsible and complex organizational support to the Deputy City Manager. Exercises direct supervision over assigned professional, technical, and clerical staff.
Essential Functions: The applicant must have the ability to:
- Develop, plan, and implement Department, goals, and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Direct the preparation of agenda items for the City Council, Planning Commission, and other committees, commissions, and boards involved in capital projects, and all Department’s planning and activities.
- Attend all City Council meetings as Department’s staff representative.
- Coordinate Department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the City Manager, Deputy City Manager, and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development and administration of Department budget; direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement mid-year and quarterly adjustments.
- Select, train, motivate, and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Direct the evaluation, selection, and administration of outside consulting contracts for Department’s related services; evaluate and prepare recommendations regarding the retention of consultants.
- Provide complex technical and administrative support to the City Manager, Deputy City Manager, City Council, and Planning commission on Department related matters; direct special projects and research as assigned.
- Participate on a variety of boards and commissions; attend and participate in professional groups and committees; meet with and advise individual property owners and community associations on Department matters as needed.
- Confer with engineers, developers, architects, a variety of agencies, and the general public in acquiring information and coordinating Department matters.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Plan, organize, evaluate, and participate in the functions and activities of Departments including capital improvement projects, subdivision and cooperative projects, transportation planning, traffic engineering, public parks, public facilities, and program planning for the future needs of the community.
- Develop and prepare recommendations and technical reports related to public works and engineering matters; advise the City Council and Planning Commission such matters.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the Department’s work plans; assign work activities, projects, and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Provide administrative support to the Deputy City Manager to assist with special projects as assigned; prepare complex and sensitive reports for State and Federal regulatory agencies.
- Oversee delivery of CIP projects including management of staff and consulting contracts from planning to design through construction.
- Prepare and implement long range planning for public works systems and improvements (e.g. master planning); prepare public works conditions to be placed on new and redeveloped parcels.
- Review and approve plans and specifications, designs, environmental documents, reports, and studies including water quality management plans and storm water pollution prevention plans; review and approve tract maps, parcel maps, lot line adjustments, etc.
- Make public presentations before City Council, Planning Commission, and other governmental and private groups, and organizations.
- Serve as a technical advisor to the City Management staff and City Council on Department related matters.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing to and before public and private groups and organizations.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative workplace and working relationships with those contacted throughout the course of employment.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is always evolving. Therefore, employer reserves the right to modify this job description as necessary.
THE ABOVE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED AS NECESSARY BY THE EMPLOYER.
Experience: Seven (7) years of increasingly responsible, managerial public works and/or engineering experience, including five (5) years of supervisory responsibility. At least 12 years of increasingly responsible managerial public works and/or engineering experience is preferred. Experience in a local municipality is preferred.
Education: Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a related field.
License or Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain throughout employment, a valid California Class “C” Driver’s License or equivalent. Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California is required. Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a Professional Land Surveyor (PLS) in the State of California is highly desirable.