Under the general direction of the Director of Engineering, the Civil Engineer plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the City’s municipal engineering programs involving civil engineering projects, developments, construction, inspection, surveying, infrastructure operation/maintenance, and all other related duties as assigned. A Senior Civil Engineer shall plan, organize, coordinate and direct the more complex projects.
- Reviews development proposals and site plans, etc. for compliance with City Ordinances, codes and regulations.
- Assist in the research and review of Planning and Zoning Commission items.
- Plan, organize and coordinate a variety of activities related to the design, construction, and management of City infrastructure projects including water, wastewater, structures, drainage systems, streets, traffic control, and other City facilities.
- Provide direction to Engineering Construction Inspectors assigned to development projects and City capital improvement projects.
- Design engineering projects involving water systems, wastewater systems, structures, storm drain systems, streets, traffic control systems, and other City improvements.
- Prepare estimates, schedules, specifications and bid documents; develop specifications for contracting work to be performed; coordinate the work of contractors and consultants; review work in progress and upon completion to verify compliance with applicable specifications, laws, and codes.
- Review designs of engineering consultants, developers and other contractors.
- Provide technical assistance to developers on plat and site development plan reviews to assure compliance with City codes, ordinances and general engineering practices; perform field review of sites as necessary.
- Review and investigate engineering concerns related to public improvement programs; analyze situations and recommend corrective action.
- Coordinate city engineering operations and activities with outside agencies; communicate with other governing agencies as needed.
- Assist with enforcing the City’s Storm Water Management Program.
- Assist in the implementation of the Comprehensive Master Plan.
- Prepare a variety of technical reports to support engineering programs. Provide support and assistance to City staff and City Council.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of professional civil engineering as applied to the design and construction of public works projects and skill in their application, including computer applications such as Auto CAD and Arc GIS;
- Field engineering, including surveying, inspection, and construction practices;
- Design, specifications, construction, operation, and maintenance of complex improvement projects;
- Federal, state and local laws pertaining to civil engineering and construction contracting;
- Professional, technical, legal, public relations and financial aspects of municipal engineering programs.
- Knowledge of Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4), roadways, traffic signals, traffic signs and markings, traffic control plans, sidewalks, streetlights, and traffic control subject to the Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (TMUTCD). Preferred
- Knowledge of water modeling software (HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, or similar). Preferred
- Analyze engineering projects and determine the best, cost effective approach; design, estimate, and prepare plans for capital improvement programs;
- Write clear, comprehensive explanatory reports;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other City employees/ departments, City officials, and the public;
- Develop, implement and administer goals, objectives, and procedures for providing effective and efficient departmental services.
- Four (4) years of engineering experience including design and administration of public works projects. A Senior Civil Engineer shall have at least eight (8) years of engineering experience.
- Design, review and administer construction phase of roadway, storm drainage, water, and wastewater related projects.
- Graduation from an accredited University or College with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering.
- Valid Class “C” Driver License.
- Licensed Texas Professional Civil Engineer or will obtain such a license within 6 months of beginning employment.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment while sitting at a desk or computer terminal for extended periods of time. However, some travel to a variety of locations to perform work and/or attend meetings is required. Incumbent may be exposed to work in variable weather and traffic conditions and other potentially hazardous circumstances. Tasks regularly include walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, climbing and lifting.
Job Description Verification Authorization
The aforementioned statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of working being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel classified in this position. This job description is subject to change as well as the needs and requirements of the job change.
The City of Sherman is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American’s with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview, reference and criminal background checks, work history and drug screens are required. In addition, job related tests may also be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Sherman and the employee and is subject to change by the City of Sherman as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.