Utility Water Division Manager
Responsible for strategic and operational leadership of the Water Utility Division ensuring the safe and reliable operation of the water and wastewater system including water treatment, wastewater treatment, technical services support operations, water quality laboratory, operations and maintenance, engineering, metering, information technology, water resources and interdepartmental environmental services. The hiring range of this position is $110,400 - $182,500, depending on qualifications and experience.
The City of Loveland Utility Department is a municipally owned utility providing Loveland customers, power, water, wastewater, and broadband services. The department has an exceptional track record for life safety, reliability, and water quality in the industry and is seeking a Water Utility Division Manager who shares this same passion and is committed to continuing this legacy of exceptional high quality services.
Since 1887, the City Utility Water Division has provided residents with safe, affordable water, sourced fresh from the Rocky Mountains. Today, the utility serves more than 36,000 residential and commercial accounts within a 33 square mile service area, maintains a 38 MGD Water Treatment Plant, over 463 miles of line, 8 pump stations, 3171 hydrants and a new water quality laboratory. All water provided to the community meets or exceeds established state and federal quality standards.
Established in 1902, the City wastewater treatment division serves more than 36,000 homes and businesses and recently expanded the water reclamation facility in 2019 ensuring the utility is positioned to meet the needs of our growing community and support regional water quality efforts for many years to come. The utility oversees a 10 MGD wastewater reclamation facility, 353 miles of sewer line, 18 lift stations, and 8917 manholes.
In addition to water and wastewater service, the utility offers programs for water and wastewater development, backflow and sprinkler inspection, water efficiency and conservation, and commercial programs and services for developers.
With a budget of over $25 million annually, the Utility Water Department oversees a robust and reliable operation. Working at the direction of the Utility Director, the Water Utility Division Manager is charged with the strategic management of the Water Division, including engineering, water resources, water quality, inspection and location services, maintenance and SCADA technical services, water operations, plant operations, and oversight of a multi-million dollar raw water portfolio.
The Water Utility Division Manager works in partnership with leaders in GIS, Development Services, Legal Services, Environmental Health and Safety, and Human Resources to provide comprehensive water service for the City. The City offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package in addition to base salary.
The City of Loveland is experiencing unprecedented growth and development. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working in a fast paced environment, operates with managerial agility, has prior capital project improvement experience, excellent written and verbal communication, and is able to professionally navigate a diverse stakeholder group including developers in the community. This candidate will oversee over 100 committed employees and must have an understanding of the workforce, maintain a visible managerial presence, and proactively champion diversity and inclusion within the department.
As the heart of northern Colorado, Loveland is located 60 minutes north of Downtown Denver, 25 minutes south of Fort Collins, 30 minutes east of Greeley, and is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. This dynamic community encompasses about 36 square miles and has received recognition for its quality of life. Known as the ‘Sweetheart City’, Loveland is renowned for its outdoor activities, artistic community, valentine program, and unique cultural events that attract visitors from around the world. The desirability of the community and proximity to the Rocky Mountains create a competitive housing market. Qualified Division Manager candidates will need to be aware of and ready to take on the competitive market in the Northern Colorado region.
As part of the application and screening process, candidates must submit a completed application, resume, and cover letter detailing prior water, engineering, and leadership experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists the Department Director in developing and administering short-term and long-range plans, policies, and procedures based on the goals and objectives of the Division, Department, and the City.
- Leads the development of short and long-term plans for water delivery within the service area.
- Builds, promotes, and oversees strategic relationships between water division staff and other internal divisions and units.
- Works closely with divisional leaders and subordinate managers to establish operational, budget, and resource requirements.
- Directs the preparation of the Water Division operating and capital budgets and authorizes expenditures.
- In conjunction with subordinate managers, reviews in-house and contract designed including but not limited to best practices for benchmarking water and wastewater utilities.
- Develops goals and objectives that compliment Division, Department, and City-wide goals and objectives.
- Monitors Division key performance indicators to ensure continuous improvement of division activities.
- Maintains current knowledge of state and federal regulations affecting the Water Division’s operations.
- Plans, schedules, assigns, and supervises work of subordinates.
- Evaluates performance and provides leadership and training opportunities to staff.
- Leads a culture of safety, ensuring all work is performed in a safe, efficient, and productive manner.
- Maintains familiarity with electric and water utility innovation projects.
- Coordinates and staffs outages to provide restoration of water.
- Manages a multicultural and diverse staff in a workplace that values diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
- Holds staff accountable for maintaining routine communications and work product when working remote per City policy
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensures that all divisional groups are aware of all applicable environmental laws and regulations that affect their operations and provides direction and assistance as necessary for regulatory compliance.
- Cooperates with citizens, businesses, special interest groups, educational entities, other local governments and the media to promote environmental awareness and inform Loveland residents of environmental issues.
- May be assigned to be Acting Director of Utilities when Utility Director is absent.
- This position is a second-line supervisor responsible for supervision of first-line supervisors and may supervise non-exempt and/or non-supervisory exempt employee(s). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the City’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and ensuring accountability; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experienced in strategic and financial planning; ability to manage large funds and budgets effectively.
- Ability to articulate and apply big picture energy objectives to municipal utility
- Demonstrated performance as an influential team leader and motivator
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to present to wide stakeholder audiences
- Maintains strong working relationships within industry networks, community organizations, vendors, service providers, and industry professionals
- Knowledge of rates, modeling, and cost of service models
- Experience in planning, constructing, operating, and maintaining water and wastewater distribution systems
- Knowledge of water industry current events, trends and challenges.
- Detailed knowledge of applicable safety standards, work methods, practices, and training
- Knowledge of standard engineering practices, distribution system design standards, and construction standards.
- Knowledge of formal asset management programs.
- Knowledge of general business and management principles.
- Knowledge of disaster management fundamentals, FEMA, and continuity of operations
- Innovative and diplomatic managerial approach to problem-solving and team-building.
- Possesses refined negotiating and strategic decision-making skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Understands basic rate design and applications for water and wastewater accounts.
- Works closely with the Utility leadership team to promote cohesiveness and teamwork.
- Strong supporter of equity and inclusion.
- Must be able to work with technology of the Internet of Things (IOT) and promote advancement of technology in the water/wastewater field.
- Proficient with Microsoft office applications for day to day work.
Accountability, Integrity, Transparency & Honoring the Public Trust, Collaboration, Innovation, Safety, Excellent Service with Courtesy and Kindness
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in engineering or a closely related field required. Graduate degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental management or public administration preferred. Minimum of five (5) years experience required in a related engineering and/or management field with at least three (3) years in the public sector, preferably local government. Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience required.
Five (5) to ten (10 ) years of experience in a related engineering and/or management field preferred.
Licenses and Certifications
Must possess a valid driver's license. Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Colorado required.
Material and equipment directly used:
Telephone, personal computer equipment, printer, calculator, photocopier, vehicle, 2-way radio
Working environment/physical activities:
Work is generally performed in an office environment that may require bending, kneeling, sitting for extended periods of time and reaching. Work may require reporting for after-hours emergency duty that may include long hours during holidays, weekends, etc. May be required to carry a pager or cellular at all designated times. Moderate physical activity required by moving and positioning objects up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds frequently. Ability to communicate in a positive and friendly manner with coworkers and general public. Able to respond to the Utility Service Center (USC) within 45 minutes and be able to communicate to the USC for emergencies when necessary.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Benefit Eligible Benefits Package Includes:
- Two (2) medical plans, Dental, Vision (for self/ spouse/ children)
- Employee Health & Wellness Center (self/family)
- Paid vacation, holidays, and medical leave
- Flexible spending including Dependent Care
- Life Insurance, AD&D, Short-term and Long-term disability, and voluntary Critical Illness Coverage
- Retirement 401a, 457, Roth (pre-& post tax) and company match
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary 529 College Invest program
- Personal and Professional Development opportunities
- Discounted recreation passes
- Employee recognition program
- Exceptional work-life balance
- Market based pay & regular performance reviews
- Local Government employment is eligible for Public Loan Forgiveness Program
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Loveland provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
A driving record and criminal history background check will be obtained pre-employment.