Principal Civil Engineer
Mission Support and Test Services, LLC, MSTS, is a limited liability company consisting of Honeywell International Inc. (Honeywell), Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (Jacobs), and Stoller Newport News Nuclear, Inc. (SN3). With more than 2,500 employees, MSTS manages operations at the Nevada National Security Site and at its related facilities and laboratories for the National Nuclear Security Administration's Nevada Field Office, an agency within the Department of Energy. NNSA maintains and enhances the safety, security, reliability, and performance of the U.S. nuclear weapons stockpile without nuclear testing and works to reduce global danger from weapons of mass destruction.
*We offer highly competitive salaries and great benefits, including 96 hours of holiday pay, tuition assistance and reimbursement, a pension plan & 401K, paid time off and more. (Casual employees are only eligible for 401K)
MSTS is a limited liability company consisting of Honeywell International Inc. (Honeywell), Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (Jacobs), and HII Nuclear Inc.
The Engineering Department is establishing a small team to be based in Mercury, NV. This team will be responsible for supporting low-rigor projects, emerging project issues, providing support for project discovery, project scope development, support for identifying functional requirements for projects and systems, and providing support to the Construction Department at a minimum. This team may also provide support as needed to the Engineering Department. The team may participate on walk-downs, generate sketches, help develop conceptual designs, evaluate existing systems with system owners, and generate and/or review functional requirements documents.
The Principal Civil Engineer selected for this group will ensure team processes and deliverables comply with laws, codes, orders, and Mission Support and Test Services (MSTS) policies and procedures. You be able to work on multiple projects, maintain a high level of detail, work well with technical personnel, adapt to project demands, and be capable of completing work load with little oversight.
- Have a working knowledge of Federal (including Department of Energy Orders), State, and Local codes and standards applicable to civil engineering design.
- Devise imaginative, thorough, and practical solutions requiring evaluation of standards and processes; solutions may be unique. Coordinate execution of assigned projects. Develop processes, procedures, work instructions.
- Contribute to strategies, reports and technical proposals. Guide implementation and utilization of technology for both experimental and operational needs. Serve as internal subject matter expert in civil engineering and recognized by their colleagues as such.
- Build teaming relationships with technical and other company organizations. Receive general direction and technical guidance on complex issues and projects of broad scope. Contribute to development of engineering solutions employing new principles, concepts, and/or techniques.
- Devise solutions to highly complex technical problems of broad scope. Solutions may require resolving conflicting customer expectations and design requirements, utilizing unconventional technology and materials, and cross-disciplinary integration.
- Coordinate complex projects including team members external to MSTS. Focus on civil engineering projects of substantial complexity and broad scope, requiring interdisciplinary coordination.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate civil/structural engineering and multi-disciplined team/design projects while engaged in the planning, design and construction phases of engineering projects.
- Generate designs related to water distribution systems, water supply, sewage collection, distribution, and treatment, grading and drainage, site flood studies, and pavement evaluation and design. Conduct construction document reviews.
- Generate and review the accuracy of design/evaluation calculations, and specifications.
- Prepare and review of calculations, drawings, and specifications relating to seismic and wind analyses, foundation design, structural framing analyses and design, and bracing analyses and design.
- Prepare technical specifications and participate in the development of bid packages.
- Execute work in a disciplined manner to demonstrate compliance with laws, codes, orders, and MSTS policies and procedures.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering program accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) required for Civil, Mechanical and Electrical engineering degrees
- Or, Calculus-based STEM bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Or Professional Engineer license
- Plus at least 9 years’ relevant experience. Skill building experience must demonstrate either deeper technical specialization or additional cross-disciplinary knowledge; graduate research experience may be recognized.
- Ability to interpret codes and standards within the discipline
- Experience in renovating/modifying existing facilities is highly desired.
- Knowledge of Microstation/Inroads computer aided drafting applications is highly desired.
- Preferred design software experience includes Microsoft Office Suite of applications, Flowmaster, Culvertmaster, and Hydrologic Engineering Centers River Analysis System (HEC- RAS).
- Schedule will be 4/10s, Monday-Thursday.
- The work location will be at the NNSS 65 miles NW of Las Vegas.
- Pre-placement physical examination, which includes a drug screen, is required. MSTS maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
MSTS is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with MSTS are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
Department of Energy Q Clearance (position will be cleared to this level). Reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10 CFR Part 707.4, “Workplace Substance Abuse Programs at DOE Sites,” will be conducted. Applicant selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation, and subsequent reinvestigations, and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified matter. Successful completion of a counterintelligence evaluation, which may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination, may also be required. Reference 10 CFR Part 709, “Counterintelligence Evaluation Program.”
Eligibility Requirements – To obtain a clearance, an individual must be a U.S. citizen at least 18 years of age. Reference DOE Order 472.2, “Personnel Security.”
MSTS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. MSTS is a background screening, drug-free workplace.