Deputy Director Engineering & Construction
4 days left
- Organization Type
HCTRA is seeking an experienced civil engineer with major project and management experience to join in our mission to, "responsibly operate and maintain a safe, reliable, sustainable, and evolving mobility system that meets the diverse connectivity needs of all Harris County residents."
The Deputy Director, Engineering and Construction directs Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) engineering, construction, and facilities projects. Manages staff who track project costs from planning through completion of construction/implementation. Interacts with local, county, state, federal, and regulatory agency officials during development of new and existing projects; provides interpretation of applicable laws, ordinances, and regulations; and coordinates the work of and confers with private consultants, engineers, and contractors involved in project development, implementation, and operations. Exercises initiative and professional judgment related to new and existing construction and engineering of HCTRA facilities ensuring all HCTRA projects are built to the highest safety standards.
- Plans, develops, and directs HCTRA engineering, construction and facilities projects, including the planning and design of projects.
- Plans and coordinates projects with local, county, state, federal, & regulatory agencies.
- Provides direction and guidance to project management, engineering, construction, and facilities management staff.
- Negotiates, reviews, and recommends approval of consultant service agreements and agreements with other agencies.
- Provides updates to Executive Management with upcoming and ongoing projects.
- Directs required project right-of-way requisitions in conjunction with Harris County Real Estate Property division.
- Reviews, recommends, and approves budget expenditures and purchase order requests.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university.
- Professional Engineer License issued by the State of Texas. If licensed in another state, must acquire license reciprocity in the State of Texas within six (6) months of the date of hire.
- Ten (10) years of progressive senior-management level experience.
- Ten (10) years of experience in engineering design, construction, and management of projects involving roads, bridges, drainage, railroads, and utilities.
- A valid Texas driver's license and good driving record (must be willing to obtain a Texas driver's license within six months of the date of hire).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of highway engineering and construction, land surveying, buildings, fiber optic networks, accounting practices, and regulations relative to roads and utilities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage a varied workload.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong written communication skills, including proficiency with general business software applications.
- Management skills sufficient to control multiple subordinates having varied functions.
- Skills establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues, government officials, civic organizations, community organizations and the general public.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain a working relationship with others.
- Expert understanding of engineering drawings, principles, and standards.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to motivate and guide others, build effective and cohesive teams toward the accomplishment of agency and division goals.
- Ability to identify and solve problems in the absence of technical guidelines using sound logical approaches by applying innovative and informed solutions that ensure long-term organizational improvements.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, coordinate, train, support, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate managers.
- Ability to handle confidential materials with considerable personal tact and initiative.
HCTRA offers a comprehensive benefits package including employer-paid medical/dental/vision benefits (with the option to increase coverage), long-term disability, life insurance, retirement investment program, employee assistance program, and paid holidays as approved by Harris County Commissioners Court.