CITY OF LOS ALTOS
Invites you to apply for the position of:
Are you passionate about sustainability?
The City of Los Altos has an exciting opportunity for a Sustainability Coordinator position in the Environmental Services and Utilities Department. The Sustainability Coordinator is essential in helping the City achieve its climate and sustainability goals per the Climate Action and Adaption Plan.
We are looking for a person who fosters and advances the City of Los Altos’ environmental and sustainability efforts that lead to a better environment for the City, the region, and the world. The ideal candidate has a passion for sustainability and climate action, a foundational knowledge of sustainability and climate change concepts, experience tracking data and reporting on key performance indicators and similar metrics, and experience in social marketing and partnership development.
This position has alternative work schedules available (either a 9/80 or 4/10 schedule), may work flexible hours, and the ability to work from home 2-3 days per week.
ABOUT THE SUSTAINABILITY TEAM
The Sustainability Division Team will lead community engagement, data collection, and progress reporting. Working closely with other city departments, the Sustainability Team will plan, draft, and create outreach strategy, stakeholder engagement, and education pieces that promote sustainability and climate action. The Sustainability Team will be responsible for collecting data and tracking and reporting the progress of the Climate Action and Adaptation Plan, and assist in the development of policies, procedures, processes, pilots, and the City’s reporting responsibilities.
ABOUT THE POSITION
An experienced professional with a passion for helping the City with its sustainability goals is highly desirable. The IDEAL candidate is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and can-do attitude; and communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing.
Below are a few examples of typical job functions.
- Plan, organize, and coordinate a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction and environmental sustainability program.
- Establish and implement an action plan for City operations and the community-at-large.
- Implement the City’s Solid Waste program, including education and outreach tasks and other action items related to increasing landfill diversion rates.
- Serve as staff liaison and support to the Environmental Commission.
- Prepare staff reports for commissions and City Council.
- Develop and implement mechanisms to track progress in achieving environmentally sustainable goals and objectives.
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Three years of progressively responsible experience in related field.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences or equivalent, planning, engineering, economics, or closely related program.
PERKS AND BENEFITS OF WORKING FOR THE CITY OF LOS ALTOS
- Annual salary range of $99,909.74 - $121,440.21; Depending on qualifications and experience
- Situated in the charming small town (City) of Los Altos
- Short walk to vibrant Downtown
- Tight-knit, supportive Team
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Alternate work schedules and remote work available
- Medical plans to choose between a traditional PPO (low deductible) medical plan in which you pay a portion of the monthly premium or an employer-paid (high deductible) medical plan
- Dental and Vision reimbursement plan per employee and their dependents
- Employer paid Life and AD&D insurance coverage, plus optional supplemental available for employee/spouse
- Employer paid Long Term Disability coverage
- Employer paid retirement contribution towards CalPERS
- Deferred Compensation 457b Plan with optional employee contribution
- View the full benefits summary
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Sustainability coordinator vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list.
The first review of the applications is scheduled for Thursday, July 7, 2022. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, COVID-19 self-attestation, including a complete background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in a disqualification or termination.
To view the full job description and apply for the position of Sustainability Coordinator please CLICK HERE.