Associate Civil Engineer
City of Los Altos
Invites you to apply for the position of:
Associate Civil Engineer
Annual Salary Range: $112,610.20 - $136,878.40
The City of Los Altos Engineering Services Department is recruiting for an Associate Civil Engineer. We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team. You are highly encouraged to apply if you have a passion for public service and desire to expand your engineering skillset in a delightful part of the Bay Area.
Tree-lined streets and a small village atmosphere characterize Los Altos, which is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Just 40 miles south of San Francisco and 17 miles north of San Jose, Los Altos is an upscale residential community which blends a distinctive community-oriented character with the proximity and influence of the Bay Area's cultural, recreational, and business attractions. Many Silicon Valley executives, managers and engineers choose to live in this City of over 30,700 because of its attractive climate, lovely neighborhoods and charming downtown.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Engineering Service Department is responsible for the development of City’s bridges, streets, traffic signals and wastewater/storm drain collection systems. Additionally, the department manages the administration of the City’s solid waste collection and recycling contract service. Our Associate Civil Engineer will work closely with the Engineering Services team, the public, and construction contractors and support or perform the following types of tasks:
- Coordinate the development of project feasibility studies, concepts, programming, planning, design, construction, and other activities for assigned projects.
- Prepares specifications, reports, correspondence, plans, plats, petitions, diagrams, profiles and cross-sections, and material and cost estimates of major street, and drainage improvements.
- Utilizes advanced engineering mathematics to make accurate and complete computations and studies to determine grade, drainage and potential traffic requirements.
- Prepare requests for qualifications and requests for proposals for professional consultant services, evaluate qualifications and proposals, lead selection committees, prepare and negotiate scope of work, fees, and schedules for professional services agreements, and process amendments.
- Conduct field investigations, evaluate project feasibility, and check survey maps, geotechnical reports, design studies, calculations, traffic control plans, and right-of-way information.
- Coordinate planning, design and implementation of assigned capital or general projects.
- Develop, recommend, and maintain accurate and current project budgets
Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude. The person holding this position should demonstrate a high level of customer service standards with the community, customers, and departments. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. The ideal candidate is comfortable with change and can multi-task; is familiar with governmental organizational structure and public service oriented. Enjoys working in a small town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents.
Please see attached for the full job description with essential duties.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge and skills, which would typically be acquired through:
Education:Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering.
Experience: Four years of increasingly responsible civil engineering experience
Required Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California. Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license.
Please see attached for the full job description.
This recruitment is being conducted to fill one Associate Civil Engineer vacancy and may be used to fill future full-time vacancies as they occur during the active status of the employment list.
This recruitment closes on Thursday, June 30, 2022, at 5:00 pm. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, COVID-19 Vaccine self-attestation, including a complete background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in a disqualification or termination.