LAND ACQUISITION MANAGER
Loudoun County's Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure is currently accepting applications for the position of Land Acquisition Manager, to acquire the right of way for transportation and capital facilities projects. Duties of the Land Acquisition Manager include:
• Research land records for information regarding property ownership and title history.
• Property research to ascertain right of way dedication commitments approved through prior legislative approvals.
• Review right-of-way plans/plats and construction drawings to identify property interests to be acquired and potential property damages.
• Manage contracts with appraisers and right-of-way acquisition consultants.
• Negotiate with property owners/attorneys or representatives to acquire needed property interests, including fee simple, easements, and rights of entry.
• Coordinate with County departments, including the County Attorney's Office in preparing contracts and other acquisition documents.
• Keep accurate and thorough property records for Eminent Domain cases.
• Respond to inquiries from the public relating to real property.
The ideal employee is self-motivated, innovative and a dedicated professional with experience in right-of-way acquisition or similar real estate transactions. Preference is given to candidates with IRWA certifications. The employee will work with DTCI’s Land Acquisition Team and members of DTCI’s project management and construction staff to understand the project scope and impacts on individual properties. Adherence to VDOT Right of Way procedures and adherence to the Federal Uniform Act are critical in the position. This position requires the ability to perform work at locations outside the office, including site visits to inspect properties, assess property impacts, and meet with property owners. General knowledge of methods, principles, practices, and techniques of real property acquisition for public purposes and basic knowledge of laws and procedures related to acquisitions, easements, and condemnation required.
The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with property owners, the public, and other County officials and staff is a key requirement, as is the ability to communicate effectively and professionally. This position requires strong interpersonal, project management, and contract management skills.
The successful candidate will have experience in property negotiations and real property acquisitions, as well as significant experience, reading construction plans and documents, contract and project management, and, have some experience in legal procedures relating to Eminent Domain law; have the skills and abilities necessary to conduct field visits, negotiate with property owners, prepare information for property owners related to the right of way and easement acquisition; and prepare reports for presentation to the Board of Supervisors.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Civil Engineering, or a related field; three (3) years of related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The position necessitates the ability to inspect the property, which often requires walking or climbing elevated structures and exposure to inclement weather while in the field. The position requires attendance at public meetings, which occasionally occur outside normal business hours. Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.
Post Conditional Offer Contingencies
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of background checks, including criminal, credit, and driving record checks. Hold or obtain a Notary Public license within 90 days of hire. Must possess a valid driver’s license.