Transportation Engineer Associate
Salary $59,883.20 - $92,747.20 Annually
Location Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 22-04146
Closing 8/7/2022 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact James Muetzel, James.Muetzel@Iowadot.us
Only applicants who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and meet all selective requirements (listed below) will be placed on the eligible list.
Iowa DOT’s Mission is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. To accomplish our Mission, the person selected for this position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the Iowa DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Location: This position is located in AMES, IA
What we offer YOU:
- Team-oriented, positive work environment
- Excellent benefits package -: https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Biweekly vacation accrual and separate sick leave
- Paid opportunities for professional growth and development – including training, courses and conferences
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package
- Company provided vehicle for all work-related activities
- Employee discounts from a variety of vendors (fitness, recreation, & travel)
Transportation Engineer Associate Responsibilities:
The Transportation Engineer Associate will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Bureau, including:
- Performing structural analysis and design of simple to moderately complex highway structures utilizing steel, aluminum, reinforced concrete, prestressed concrete, and wood. Simple to moderately complex highway structures include standard and non-standard bridges, culverts, retaining walls, sign trusses, other miscellaneous structures, and routine to unique overlay and repair projects. Design of this categorical complexity are expected for most of the time.
- Reviewing plans for simple to moderately complex structures submitted by outside sources for approval.
- Assists in the performance of inspections, analyzes any deficiencies of structures, and writes reports containing recommendations and cost estimates for structures needing repair.
- Draws or directs technicians in drawing the ideas conceived in the design of the proposed structure. Directs and consults with design technicians to ensure that all necessary details, dimensions, notes, and specifications are shown on the completed design plan and the plan clearly reflects the intent of the design.
- Professional Development – May work on special projects and/or for other offices/districts across the Department as assigned to gain experience beneficial to become eligible to sit for the Professional Engineer exam and gain Professional Engineering licensure
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway design products.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive and get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
- Travel: This position may require some inspection site travel.
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work weeks.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Teleworking opportunities.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional engineering requirements.
- Annual pay and cost of living increases are typical.
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employment selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
097 Civil Engineering
6 months’ experience, 12 semester hours, or a combination of both in one or more of the following:
- Survey crew
- Construction inspector
- Professional civil engineer
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
- Possession of a verification of graduation with major course work in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, mechanics, structural, or transportation engineering or in engineering management.
- Certification as an engineer intern by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board
- Licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board is required within 9 years for continued employment; temporary training assignments will terminate within six months following a second attempt to obtain a professional engineer license or nine years from date of hire.
Applicants hired with verification of graduation will be required to graduate with a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university within 10 months of hire.
Within a period of time after hire, as determined by the appointing authority, employees in this class may be required to obtain one or more of the following certificates, licenses, or endorsements: