The incumbent will serve as a Cost Engineer, Military Design Branch, Engineering Division. Their overall responsibilities will include:
- Serves as a Cost Engineer, exercising knowledge acquired through practical experience. Responsible for the personal preparation/review of cost estimates for highly complex projects.
- The position requires preparation of government cost estimates on Military Construction, Civil Works, Operations, etc. projects which are to be worked by in-house contract teams or external Contractors. Performs all phases of estimating, pulling all specialties together. Develops Direct Cost Pricing: Selects the methods of construction and prepares a detailed equipment, labor, and materials cost breakdown. Determines resource requirements to construct project, i.e., type and capability of construction equipment, material types and quantities, labor skills and quantities, other overhead costs, bonds, and other costs of construction. Estimates material, labor, and man-hour requirements, direct labor and material costs for Military Construction, Civil Works, Operations, Maintenance, and repair projects utilizing USACE Estimating Software. Performs quality assurance and quality control reviews ensuring construction document format and project cost are free of obvious errors and omissions.
- Reviews Cost Estimate: Ensures adequate means of review for pricing, contracting, and all decisions involving the cost of the project. Validates the estimate on format, completeness, and pricing. Extends consideration to items not included in the estimate that are shown on the plans and/or in the specifications, impacting cost, funding, or economics of the project. Notes discrepancies in the reviewed estimate and contract documents and provides comments. Accepts and/or rejects estimates. Provides review of price schedules, contract documents, scope of work in support of estimating project cost.
- Uses a variety of computer programs to support the Section and Engineering Branch missions including but not limited to (a) MII Computer Estimating Software to both review and prepare project cost estimates. In addition, RS Means, Cost Works, estimating software.
- Performs other duties as assigned.