RESPEC Company, LLC (RESPEC) is a client focused consulting and services company that provides innovative solutions to solve complex challenges for private- and public-sector clients. Our 100 percent employee-owned company was founded in 1969 and includes four business units: Mining & Energy, Infrastructure, Water & Natural Resources, and Data & Technology Solutions. RESPEC has more than 500 employees in 14 U.S. states and 2 Canadian provinces consisting of engineers, scientists, and technical support staff.
Our Infrastructure Business Unit has over 100 employees in five office locations in Alaska. The employees are a mix of engineers, planners, surveyors, and technicians. The Transportation group projects focus on “planes, trains, and automobiles” with work primarily involving International, Municipal, and rural airports, rail yards and at-grade and separated grade crossing systems, and borough, City, and urban and rural roadways.
The Director of Transportation will market and develop relationships with public and private clients and grow the transportation engineering practice. This position will also involve managing and directing staff in project studies, design and construction documents related to land and air-based transportation projects. The ideal candidate will have a passion for business development, plus a strong background in design, construction services, and experience with project delivery along with schedule, and budget management.
The Director will lead the Transportation Market Sector within the Infrastructure Business Unit and report directly to the Senior Vice President. The position will have overall responsibility for financial and operational performance of the Transportation group aligned with the goals and strategy of RESPEC.
The Director will be responsible for continuing the sustainable growth, client diversity, internal succession, and the technical strength and integrity that is the foundation of RESPEC’s reputation. The Director will oversee developing and implementing a business strategy and maintaining a Market Sector Business Plan. You will work with the Senior Vice President, Vice Presidents, other Market Sector Directors to ensure success of the company and oversee the day-to-day activities of the Transportation staff.
- Develop the vision and track the Transportation Market Sector financial budgets, projections, and backlog Present Transportation Market Sector business updates (revenue goals, operating income, projections, staffing, strategy, projects, etc.) Update, maintain, and execute Transportation Market Sector strategy and business plan
- Able to anticipate and appreciate the big picture and apply strategic and analytic thinking to effectively identify the needs for consulting services, both in the short and long term Work with Business Development/Sales, Marketing, Program and Project Managers to pursue and win work Foster, build and maintain client relationships
- Work with other Market Directors procure work and to share resources as needed Help attract, develop, and retain key talent Perform reviews and performance evaluations of Program Managers including compensation and bonus amounts Lead and manage personnel within the Transportation Market Sector
- Provide project quality oversight and mentoring to the Transportation team Act as Manager for key or strategic design-related projects
- Bachelor or Master of Engineering degree from an accredited university 15+ years of relevant work experience within the field of transportation engineering and recognized as a subject expert leader Professional Civil Engineering License in Alaska or ability to obtain within 6 months. Excellent interpersonal, communication and consultative skills with the ability to interact with management, employees, and all stakeholders. Strong management and leadership skills with a focus on teamwork and accountability Expertise in transportation project implementation and successful project delivery Ability to manage multiple projects, as well as design teams, staff, and clients Experienced with business development
- Must have a valid, unrestricted, driver’s license Must pass company drug screening and background check
Compensation: Salary depends on experience and expertise. Compensation includes a comprehensive fringe-benefits package that consists of medical, vision, and dental insurance; paid holidays; paid leave; 401(k) Plan and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP); continuing education; and professional societies. RESPEC is a 100% employee-owned company and employees are eligible for participation in the ESOP after a qualifying period.
Interviews: Interviews will be by appointment only. RESPEC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, which includes equal pay for men women, and minorities. Preemployment background check and drug screens are required for all positions. Please apply online at:
Closing Date: Open Until Filled