BONUS: New hires receive $1500 upon hire and $1500 after completing the probationary period ($3000 total).
The Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) Department is seeking an Entry to Senior level Structural Engineer to support technical and administrative task and work under the direction of the Building Official and Field Services Manager. The employee will be responsible for reviewing construction documents, reviewing reports from Special Inspection agencies, and monitoring projects during construction to ensure compliance with Arlington County Special Inspection program requirements.
Specific duties include:
- Reviewing development and monitoring construction documents for compliance with the International Building Code, and the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code;
- Reviewing field reports from special inspection agencies throughout all phases of on-going projects;
- Interpreting and enforcing codes, regulations, and ordinances;
- Reviewing building plans for Commercial and High-Rise building, schools, and hospitals;
- Performing daily field inspections to monitor and inspect ongoing construction to verify compliance with Building Codes and submitted special inspection reports;
- Providing code consultation services to builders, developers, engineers, property owners, architects, and other governmental agencies;
- Attending state sponsored code update meetings; and
- Representing the Division and the County at meetings and public hearings.
Structural Engineer I:
- Bachelor's degree in Structural Engineering or related field; and
- Must obtain the Commercial Building Plans Examiner certification within one year of employment.
Structural Engineer II:
- Bachelor's degree in Structural Engineering or related field;
- Some responsible experience in structural engineering, including experience working with construction plans (e.g., structural plan design, review and/or related regulation compliance experience); and
- Possession of Commercial Building Plans Examiner Certification - AND- Professional Engineer (PE) license.
Substitution: Qualifying experience in structural engineering work may substitute for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with a Master Degree in related field or experience in one or more of the following:
- International Code Council (ICC) codes in commercial (and/or high rise) building design, construction, or plan review; and
- Experience in the design of high rise or critical structural building.