Senior Stormwater Engineer
The City of Gresham seeks an innovative thinker with stormwater engineering experience, a vision for helping grow a public utility, and an interest in both traditional and green infrastructure to serve as the City’s Senior Stormwater Engineer. An ideal candidate will have program and/or staff management experience. Under the management and support of the Water Resources Engineering Manager, you will have the opportunity to work in a hands-on engineering role, as well as helping with special project management and team mentorship.
This position oversees two engineering technicians and leads the utility’s Capital Improvement Program in collaboration with Stormwater Operations, Water Quality, and Natural Resources programs. This is a great career opportunity for an engineer with vision and critical thinking skills, interest in public service and the development of cost-effective solutions in diverse settings, including large new community areas and retrofit projects that allow for implementation of innovative stormwater management approaches. Gresham’s Department of Environmental Services presents a unique opportunity to join an engaging, long-tenured, supportive team of Transportation, Parks, Solid Waste, Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater professionals in an environment where collaboration is encouraged.
This job announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. First review of applications will take place the week of August 22, 2022.
As Oregon's fourth-largest city, Gresham is a welcoming community of hard-working people where tradition and heritage meet innovation and opportunity. Gresham is a dynamic and rapidly growing city where families and businesses have a mutual desire and drive to thrive. City of Gresham employees care deeply about the community they serve, and go 'one step beyond' to deliver services in collaborative, inventive, practical, and nimble ways. Our work is challenging, fast-paced and rewarding.
We believe that to deliver the highest level of service to all Gresham community members, it is crucial we employ a diverse workforce, foster an inclusive working environment, and ensure our policies and systems result in equitable outcomes. The City seeks candidates who will support these values by continuously incorporating equity in their daily work and actively contributing to a workplace culture that respects unique viewpoints, life experiences and cultural perspectives. Come build the future with us.
What you will get to do:
- Provide management and oversight to the Stormwater Engineering team
- Work in close partnership with Operations, Regulatory, and inter-departmental peers
- Coordinate with both Operations and Maintenance, Water Quality, and Natural Resources teams to develop the Capital Improvement Programs for the stormwater group
- Manage studies including Master Plans and System Development Charge methodologies
- Support floodplain management decisions either directly or through management of on-call consultants
- Benefit from Gresham’s lack of “work silos” as you work closely with other internal City divisions and departments, including Transportation, Drinking Water, Wastewater, Water Quality and Natural Resources teams in developing creative solutions.
- Provide subject matter expertise in stormwater management to various stakeholders
- Collaborate with outside agencies and developers on a regular basis
What we are looking for:
- A relationship builder who initiates effective working relationships and consistently works on developing and maintaining those relationships
- A highly collaborative leader to work cooperatively with other individuals and teams to coordinate contributions that result in mutually favorable outcomes
- A critical thinker and problem solver who analyzes all information available and uses sound judgement and expertise to provide solutions and made decisions on the best course of action
- A skilled project manager to provide oversight and planning on projects, scheduled tasks, resource allocation, time scales and timelines, and budgeting to deliver projects on time, within cost and at the required quality level
- An excellent written and verbal communicator to correspond with other municipalities, government agencies, developers, construction contractors and regulatory agencies
- Someone who effectively manages the performance of their teams by taking responsibility for their own and their team member's performance by setting clear goals and expectation, tracking progress, ensuring feedback and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- An individual who uses a variety of approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreement, and conflict
Refer to the Engineer Senior Class Specification for complete list of qualifications
- Oregon Professional Engineer (PE) registration or able to obtain it within 60 days of employment
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering (i.e., Civil, Environmental, or related field)
- Three (3) to six (6) years of related experience with project management in stormwater design and an understanding of the budget process for funding Capital Improvement Projects
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of project management experience in stormwater design
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience leading a team of professional engineers or engineering technicians
- Two (2) to five (5) years of experience developing a program Capital Improvement Project budget
To apply for this position, click through to the City of Gresham website or governmentjob.com to apply.
Required application materials:
- Complete online application (do not put 'see resume' in any fields)
- Answers to supplemental questions
- Cover letter describing interest in the position and summarizing related experience
If you desire a modification of this process to accommodate a disability, please provide your request in writing to HR@GreshamOregon.gov, or by phone to 503-618-2729, upon submitting the required documents.
A review of application materials submitted will determine which candidates will be invited to an interview.
Communication with candidates will be done primarily through e-mail. Sometimes these messages may land in a spam or junk mail folder. We encourage you to monitor your inbox as well as the inbox within the governmentjobs.com portal for important updates related to this process.
The City of Gresham provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with state law. Any candidate wishing to have their qualifying veteran's preference applied to the process must submit a qualifying document (DD Form 214 or 215) at the time of application providing proof of eligibility that includes discharge status. Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the US Department of Veteran Affairs at the time of application, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
The City of Gresham is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without unlawful regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, familial status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, Oregon, or local law.
Please direct questions about this position to 503-618-2729 or HR@GreshamOregon.gov.
If you need assistance with the online application, please contact NEOGOV directly at 1-855- 524-5627.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.