Are you passionate about protecting the San Francisco Bay? Are you looking for a place to grow and develop your skills, to have the opportunity to do meaningful work and serve your community? Come join us! USD offers careers with a great work/life balance.
We currently have an opportunity for an Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade (ETSU) Assistant Program Manager to join our ETSU Program Team. This fully benefited position is for a limited duration which is expected to be 7-10 years.
Union Sanitary District (USD) is an award-winning, innovative, independent special district formed in 1918 providing wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services to the residents and businesses in the Tri-cities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City in southern Alameda County (south-eastern Bay Area). USD is committed to providing exceptional service to our customers through the fulfillment of our Mission Statement, "To safely and responsibly collect and treat wastewater, and to recover resources from process waste streams, while protecting human health and improving the environment in a way that benefits the Tri-Cities and all USD stakeholders."
Examples of Duties
About the Job
The Enhanced Treatment and Site Upgrade Assistant Program Manager (ETSU APM) is key part of a multidisciplinary team that will oversee the planning, design, construction, startup, and commissioning of the Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant. The ETSU APM will report to Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade Program Manager and Steering Committee. Under general direction, the ETSU APM will plan, organize, supervise, coordinate, and direct the engineering, contract construction, technical, clerical, and administrative activities of the Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade Projects for the District.
The ETSU APM works directly with the Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade Program Manager, Workgroup Managers, Coaches, USD staff, Engineering Firms, Consultants, Construction Managers, Contractors, Project Managers, Public Agencies and individuals to provide comprehensive direction, coordination and implementation of projects in a timely and cost-effective manner. The ETSU APM must have a working knowledge of Plant operations, treatment processes and maintenance procedures.
You must be able to exercise a high degree of independent judgment and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You must also be able to effectively communicate complex technical project issues both orally and in writing, while maintaining a high quality and effective decision-making process.
The following is a list of just some of the things you will be working on:
- Develop, implement, and manage specific Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade Programs and Projects; establish program goals and objectives, develop various scope of works, develop budgets and schedules, oversee progress and initiate solutions.
- Develop engineering studies and projects; coordinate the work of consultants and District personnel, as well as contact with other governmental agencies.
- Manage, plan, organize, and coordinate, in conjunction with the Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade Program Manager (ETSU PM), the activities of contract construction activities for the CIP Engineering Department.
- Review and manage the design and construction of department facilities.
- Assist in the preparation of long-range planning programs.
- Serve as project manager as needed and occasionally serve as construction manager and perform inspection of Enhanced Treatment & Site Upgrade projects.
- Ensure the compilation of operations and maintenance records and record drawings for construction projects.
- Collaborate with specified USD staff for various projects related to impact on plant processes, safety, and other considerations important to staff.
- Collaborate as necessary with stakeholders outside of USD such as regulators, businesses and governmental agencies.
You will need the following education and experience. A typical way to acquire the knowledge, skills and abilities for this position include:
- A bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, with major work in engineering or other closely related field, and three years of capital improvements project management experience in an engineering organization or consulting company where experience included planning and designing improvements to water/wastewater system and facilities or other closely related field.
Knowledge of environmental engineering principles, methods, and practices; the principles of primary, activated sludge secondary, sludge digestion, and dewatering wastewater treatment processes; wastewater reclamation; administrative principles; state and federal regulations pertaining to the work; procedures to follow in conducting environmental investigations and studies; the principles and techniques of contract construction administration; pertinent safety practices.
Ability to plan, organize, direct, schedule, control, and coordinate activities in an engineering and technical support organization; communicate effectively verbally and in writing; review design drawings and specifications for accuracy; deal effectively with employee relations, budget, and other matters relating to administration of a major organizational unit. Ability to work collaboratively with others in a team-based organization focused on continuous improvement; establish and maintain a positive customer service attitude and effective working relationships with customers; demonstrate excellent two-way communication skills with staff and others.
Licenses, Certificates, or Credentials: Must possess a valid Class C California driver's license, have and maintain a satisfactory driving record, and be insurable by the District to operate District vehicles. Must possess California registration as a Professional Civil or Mechanical Engineer. A Master’s degree in a related field or a California Grade IV or higher Wastewater Operators Certification or equivalent is desirable.
We also offer an excellent benefits package including:
- CalPERS retirement 2.5% at 55 formula. (If new to CalPERS or not from an agency with reciprocity with CalPERS, the formula is 2% at 62 by pension reform law.)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance substantially paid for by the District for the employee and family.
- Two weeks' vacation per year (increasing with longevity); 40 hours Management Administrative Leave per year (pro-rated first year), and 13 paid holidays per year.
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance paid by the District.
- Alternative Work Week Schedule.
- Deferred Compensation Plan with Matching Funds.
- Educational Reimbursement, Student and Computer Loan programs for non-probationary employees.
The Details (otherwise known as Important Application Information)
Applicants must apply online at http://www.unionsanitary.ca.gov. Union Sanitary District is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms in submitting your application.
First review of applications will be the week of 8/7/2022. Candidates who are best qualified will be invited to a Virtual Qualifications Appraisal Interview and Work Sample to be held on Thursday, 8/18/22. Finalist Interviews are scheduled for Wednesday, 8/24/22.
You will be contacted regarding all phases of this recruitment via email, so please check your inbox for correspondence regarding next steps and results through the exam process. Please ensure that the email address on your application is correct and current before submitting your application. Before appointment to the position the candidates must pass a criminal background check, Live Scan and pre-employment physical.
Disaster Service Worker: Employees of Union Sanitary District are, by state and federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities which promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property either at the District or within the local, or your own community.
Accommodation: Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com upon submittal of application.
Union Sanitary District is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.