Requirement: Structural Design Engineer
Warships- T31 Frigates
Location - Anywhere in the UK. You will be predominantly home-based following approx. 5 days (paid) induction and training at a MOD facility closest to your home address
Rate: £40ph (all hours) - overtime is available - Umbrella
Duration: 6 months minimum with possible extension to 18 months
The Designer will be responsible for the creation of CAD models and drawings along with other design deliverables to the required standards. They are required to contribute to, as well as, supporting the whole project and product design cycle from concept through to construction and installation technical support.
The role requires; a good understanding of engineering and design practice's as relevant to the discipline and the holder must be able to demonstrate excellent 2D & 3D CAD skills as well as good written and verbal communications.
Key Result Areas
* Primary responsibilities are the development and delivery of manufacturing and installation outputs information, including 3D structural and compartment models comprising primary, secondary and tertiary (outfitting) steelwork.
Detailed manufacturing data which may include fabrication and assembly drawings and files required to support CAD/CAM systems.
Spatial and Interface management of systems with coordination of associated disciplines, BOMs.
* Preparation/production of CAD 3D models and drawings in support of all Design Cycle phases (Concept, Basic, Functional, Detail and Production Designs) in line with recognised ISO and industry standards and to the required; time, cost and quality requirements.
* Preparation/production of 2D Structural/Outfitting installation and fabrication drawings in line with recognised ISO and industry standards and to the required; time, cost and quality requirements.
* Perform self-verification of own work.
* Ability to identify errors and omissions that conflict with required specifications within source model and deliverables.
* Familiarity with shipbuilding/ship repair terminology and practices.
* Liaise with professional engineering colleagues and various stakeholders during design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including contribution to design reviews.
* Develop innovative design solutions.
* Provide solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Technical and Production Queries
* Reporting of technical progress and issues to line management.
* Be aware of and ensure that; safety, health and environmental requirements are implemented.
* Assist with the maintenance and improvement in quality standards of outputs.
Knowledge, Experience and Skill
* The post holder is required to hold an NC/HNC or an equivalent qualification in Structural/Outfitting discipline subject.
* Apprenticeship in relevant discipline or relevant industry experience.
* Be proficient in the use of one or more parametric/spec driven CAD system both in a 3D & 2D environment.
Preference to be with Hexagon S3D
* Experience in Design for Manufacture within a marine build and/or conversion marketplace (or similar)