Design and Construction Engineer
Competitive Salary plus package
Sphere solutions are currently recruiting for a Design and Construction Engineer to work for one of the leading, regional civil engineering contractors in South Wales. Our clients experience embraces both the public and private sectors and includes major and minor capital projects, framework and term maintenance contracts, partnering and joint venture alliances. They operate in a variety of sectors including highways, rail, transport, utilities, infrastructure and surfacing.
Our client are in partnership with Transport for Wales to help deliver all infrastructure projects ranging from bridges, line - side, car parks, lifts, platforms and stations through RCT, Aberdare, Merthyr and down to Radyr. The ideal candidate will be responsible for providing engineering support to projects through Grip stages 2-7 as assigned. Accountable to the Rail Engineering Manager with responsibilities reporting to the Contracts Manager for day-to-day management support.
* You will act as a support function to and opps team, in monitoring temp/perm works design, developing temp works delivery options and CRE duties during this phase.
* Ensure you follow the requirements of the company handbook
* Review the Construction Phase Plan and any Work Package Plan methodology and risk mitigation measures
* Proactively engaging the Close Call reporting system, reporting anything that you see which is likely to endanger either your own safety or others' health and safety.
* Ensure discipline design or construction complies with current applicable standards, legislative requirements and specification
* Review all designs for temporary and permanent works for submission to the client and review with the CEM prior to submission
* Ensure that GRIP deliverables are to the correct standard and are provided within the required timescales for client review
* Manage the programme of deliverables and report to the Contracts Manager
* Contribute to project feasibility and option development phases on assign projects
* Participate in and contribute to, design review meetings
* Provide support for tender processes including review of pre-tender information, planning, estimating and quality submissions
* Compliance with the Construction (Design) Management Regulations 2015 and the Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006
* Develop Quality Assurance systems for assigned schemes
* Responsible for the submission of the CPP, WPP and designs as per the agreed programme with the Contracts Manager and Client, ensuring they are to the best quality to minimise returned DRN comments from the Client.
* Provide technical expertise, support and advice on all GRIP Stage 3 and 7
* Support ECI process on projects where the client requires options development and appraisal.
* Undertake CRE construction for allocated schemes
* Liaison with client, DPE, designers, CEM and other CRE disciplines as required
* Promote and maintain effective client/stakeholder relationships to protect and enhance the company's reputation to help enable repeat business
* Uphold the core company values, inspire and encourage the same throughout the team
Required experience and Qualifications:
* HNC Civil Engineering or similar
* Ideally have around 6-10 years' experience in a similar role, but any other relevant experience may also be taken into consideration
* Knowledge of the GRIP Process
* Excellent leadership, communication and IT skills
* Relevant CSCS card
Desirable experience and Qualifications:
* Relevant professional membership
* First Aid / Fire Marshal
* Temporary Works Coordinator / Crane Appointed Person
* ALO Responsible Manager
On offer, is the opportunity to work for a Large Civil Engineering Contractor that can offer job security and long term benefits.
Needless to say, if you are open to new opportunities and would like to discuss in greater detail please don't hesitate to get in touch