Salary $73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
Location Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
Job Type Full-time
Agency 645 Iowa Department of Transportation
Job Number 23-00435
Closing 9/18/2022 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact James S. Nelson - James.S.Nelson@iowadot.us
Location: This position is located in AMES, IA
What we offer YOU:
- Team-oriented, positive work environment
- Excellent benefits package -: https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Biweekly vacation accrual and separate sick leave
- Paid opportunities for professional growth and development – including training, courses and conferences
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package
- Company provided vehicle for all work-related activities
- Employee discounts from a variety of vendors (fitness, recreation, & travel)
Our Core Focus:
The Core Focus of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Contributing to Our Core Focus:
The Transportation Engineer Specialist will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Bureau, including:
- Administer Consultant Engineering contracts for Bridge Design Unit of the Bridges and Structures Bureau.
- Distribute projects to statewide on-call consultants.
- Review scope and budget of Agreements and Amendments proposed by consultants.
- Provide monthly tracking of outside services relative to Bridges & Structures Bureau annual budget.
- Manage all consultant-prepared bridge, RCB culvert, and other structure plans for the primary road system.
- Provide Bridge Project Development Engineers with project status updates at monthly office Target Review meetings.
- Review daily consultant correspondence to ensure consultants design questions are answered in a timely fashion.
- Assign project reviews to Consultant Coordination Section staff to ensure balanced workload. Track delivery dates and changes. Assist in prioritizing work assignments.
Licensure: Applicant must have a Professional Engineering license at the time of appointment and is responsible for maintaining the license by meeting continuing education requirements and all other professional obligations required by the State of Iowa.
Work Hours: Days, M-F; Flex Available
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work weeks.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Teleworking opportunities.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional engineering requirements.
- Annual pay and cost of living increases are typical.
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employment selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.
2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.
3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
Additional Qualification Requirements
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.