Utilities Supervisor / WPD Dig & Lay Supervisors £30,000 - £35,000 per annum Full Time, Permanent
Our client is a multi-disciplined, civil engineering and utility contractor operating nationally, providing a range of utility and civil engineering services including multi-utilities. Established for more than 40 years, they are framework partners with several major utilities, driven by a commitment to maintaining and developing solid client relationships. They continue to diversify and reinforce their reputation for delivering quality you can build on.
They hold a framework contract with one of those clients on our electrical division Western Power Distribution (WPD) for the Tipton and Birmingham Areas 4 & 5. This is a busy contract with additional RFQ major project work streams. Due to an increase in work volume they are looking to recruit experienced Utilities / Dig & Lay Supervisors based across the region. The Role:
As Dig & Lay Supervisors you will be reporting into the WPD Dig & Lay Manager and will be responsible for approximately 6 civils teams. This role is office and site based and a strong presence with your teams is required to lead, motivate, manage productivity, and identify and address any issues as soon as possible.
Hours of work - Monday to Friday 50 hours per week, some weekend work required and you will be responsible for ensuring all weekend work is covered. What you will be responsible for?
What Knowledge, Skills & Abilities do you require?
- Review of upcoming work in allocated area and planning of workforce, and organisation planning of operative resources and plant and equipment, necessary street work requirements/permits and ensure all work packs and relevant documents are produced
- Assessment of all upcoming works within their designated area to establish if Traffic management is required and booked to the works
- All future works been undertaken within their control are to be assessed within min 5 working days prior to works start
- All civil teams to be brief on tasks to be undertaken within their designated area, work packs discussed, and any hazards outlined prior to mobilisation to site. If required, an on-site briefing is to be completed with their civil team completing the works prior to works start to ensure clear guidance is provided
- Collation & approval of weekly timesheet from civil team under their supervision
- Collation of all Vehicle & plant paperwork's for team operating under their supervision the previous week or assigned under their supervision
- Undertaking of (excavation) civil team audit on teams allocated to their works
- Planning, co-ordinating and supervision of all backfill of excavations within their designated works area. (excluding auditing of grab teams)
- Review of all team's operation on their works competencies to ensure compliant with task been completed
- Discovery, latent damage or utility damage - Immediate attendance to site and attend all Utility Damage de-brief under their supervision
- Final walk off on all works over 100m under their control to assess if any defects are present
- Ensure all KPI's set by the WPD dig and lay manager are met
Technical Skills & Experience
- Decision making
- Strong communication skills: telephone, verbal & written
- Computer skills (MS Office, Outlook)
- Questioning and evaluation of client /customer/team needs
- Good standard of problem-solving ability
- Building Relationships - internal & external
- Planning and Organising
- Supervising people
Experience of supervising civil teams within a framework contract The job requires knowledge of:
And in return you will receive!
- General Civil engineering knowledge
- Completing utility installation with the Highway and 3rd party land
- Reading & understanding of utility plans and construction drawings
- Dealing directly with clients
- Awareness of clients and customer expectations
- Full understanding of NRSWA compliance to facilitate completion of works on Highway
- Working to deadlines
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Company Contributory Pension Scheme
- 28 days holiday a year including Bank holidays
- Training and development
Our client values a diverse workforce and welcome applications from all sections of the community, regardless of any protected characteristics