Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Civil Engineering Department seeks to hire a full-time, 9-month Clinical Assistant/Associate Professor. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative and contribute significantly to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The expected start date for this position is January 2023 but a start date of August 2023 can be accommodated.
Clinical Faculty play a critical role in the professional curricula. They support the University’s mission of providing student-centered, quality education and are committed to the success of our students and the university. This primarily involves teaching effectiveness in a clinical setting and engaging in professionally related community service. This may also include professional development, research and scholarly/creative activities if assigned, institutional service, professional service, student advising and involvement, and supervisory responsibilities as assigned.
The Department of Civil Engineering has approximately 250 undergraduate students and 35 graduate (MS) students. You will join a group of ten faculty members who provide inclusive and engaging educational and research experiences which prepare students to develop sustainable and resilient engineered and natural systems.
The Clinical Assistant Professor is a member of the non-tenured faculty with an entry-level rank and primary duties in the area of clinical instruction.
The major responsibility of the clinical faculty involves teaching students in both academic and clinical settings, supervising clinical experiences, and engaging in professionally related community service. The successful candidate will be expected teach a variety of undergraduate civil engineering and general engineering courses as well as laboratory courses (60-80% effort). The teaching load will be nine credit hours per semester. Optional summer teaching opportunities may be available.
In addition, the candidate will contribute to the service mission of the Department (40-20% effort). Service assignments may include outreach and recruitment activities, ABET activities, and other activities as determined by the needs of the department and interests of the candidate.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
In accordance with discipline and departmental standards and expectations
- Demonstrated advanced level of oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet required attendance and submission deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to create, articulate, and assess course learning outcomes.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in creating course materials (syllabus, handouts, presentations, etc.) which enhance student interest and engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage effective grading rubrics for consistent and uniform grading results.
- Demonstrated ability to assess student educational goals and to create graduation plans based on those goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage effective, friendly, and civil working relationships with staff, faculty, students, alumni, guests, and others at the university.
- Demonstrated problem solving and abstract thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality work while working independently.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering and a Master’s degree in civil engineering or related field.
PhD in civil engineering or related field, teaching experience and/or training, professional experience, excellent communication skills, and involvement in professional organizations. The most competitive candidates will be registered professional civil engineers (PE or SE).
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.
Required Application Materials:
For full consideration, candidate must complete an online application and electronically attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a one-page statement of teaching interests, and contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on September 19, 2022. The position will remain open until filled.