Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes,keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you'll be doing
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Environmental Assurance Engineer
to work within the Environmental Engineering team in Capital Delivery. Working under the direction of the Principal and Senior Environmental Engineers, the role will be part of the intelligent client Thames Water needs to be able to achieve its AMP7 ambitions and beyond.
Focusing on the environmental discipline the role will provide the expertise needed to:
- Assist in the environmental de-risking of Capital Delivery projects and suggest appropriate mitigation
- Help to produce and procure the required environmental deliverables. Typically including regulatory, sustainability, and biodiversity requirements
- Input into the continuous improvement of Capital Delivery's environmental assurance function
- Work with the wider environmental functions, such as our colleagues in Engineering & Asset, to ensure a joined-up and consistent approach to protecting and enhancing the environment
- Provide environmental technical assurance throughout the project lifecycle
The day-to-day accountabilities include:
What you should bring to the role
- Promote continuous improvement of project environmental/ sustainability performance
- Be familiar with and effectively communicate the requirements of current applicable environmental legislation and best practice
- Innovative thinking and work to identify areas where processes can be improved
- Provide support and assistance to all project personnel to enable them to manage their environmental duties and responsibilities
- Produce environmental deliverables such as Environmental Screening Assessments
- Support the Environmental department in meetings, workshops, and reviews
- Work with colleagues to raise environmental/sustainability awareness throughout Capital Delivery
What's in it for you?
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an appropriate Environmental or Science discipline
- A full valid driving license as you will be traveling around Thames Water's catchment area
- IT literate with an awareness of knowledge management
- Working towards achieving membership in a relevant professional body
- Relevant experience in the environment and sustainability field
- Interest in project delivery and a passion for protecting and enhancing the environment
- Proactive approach and ability to adapt to changing scenarios to solve problems
This is a unique opportunity to work within a team and provide environmental support for a portfolio of projects from the initial study stage through design to completion of construction. You'll have the opportunity to grow and develop your skills within a collaborative and supportive team.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days of holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you'll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working arrangements.
We're also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you'll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an Ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues, and a earn bit of extra money along the way.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.