JOB TITLE: Assistant City Engineer
AGENCY: City of Pittsburg
LOCATION: Pittsburg, California
FILING DEADLINE: Open until Filled
SALARY RANGE: $132,672.00 - $161,256.00 Annually plus Hiring Bonus up to $20,000
About the City of Pittsburg
With a population of around 70,000, located on the southern shore of the Suisun Bay in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area in eastern Contra Costa County, the City of Pittsburg is located just a short BART ride from San Francisco and is strategically located near several prestigious higher education institutions, such as UC Berkeley and UC Davis, and is the home of Los Medanos College, the sixth ranked community college in the nation. Pittsburg offers deep water channel access, two BART Stations, and an active community expected to grow by nearly 20,000 over the next two decades. The Pittsburg real estate market is diverse. Housing prices are still among the best in the area, and with the best commute time in East Contra Costa County. Rental housing prices are also among the best deals in the County.
Under general direction of the Public Works Director/City Engineer, the Assistant City Engineer oversees the division’s professional, technical, contracted, and office support staff; administers the activities and operations of the Engineering Division; coordinates divisional activities with other Planning and Building divisions, departments and outside agencies or organizations; establishes division goals, objectives, policies and procedures in accordance with the department and city’s mission statement and goals; provides professional, administrative and technical support to the City Engineer; and performs other duties as required.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is an emotionally intelligent, strategic thinker that is relatable and can read a room. The next assistant city engineer will be a team player, humble leader, collaborative and creative with the ability to come up with innovative solutions with their team. The ideal candidate will know how to “get to yes” and understands the importance of high-level customer service both internally and externally.
Key characteristics and attributes:
- A supportive leader who creates a cohesive structure and team-oriented working environment
- An inclusive and positive management style that ensures accountability, responsibility, and encourages discussion and
ideas from staff and key stakeholders
- Good organizational skills with a transparent style of leadership; outward facing who is able to successfully interact and resolve internal issues, as well as resolve difficult citizen inquiries and complaints
- Flexible and resilient. Able to provide clear goals and expectations, while remaining agile and can adapt to changing priorities
- Stays current in new technologies and legislation
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related field
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible civil engineering experience
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience of staff management and supervision
- Possession of a valid Registered Professional Engineer license with the State of California
- Possession of/ability to obtain a valid Class C California driver’s license
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To apply, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/assistant-city-engineer-2/.
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and projects you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Edna Swaim at (510) 345-4280