Civil Engineering - Assistant Professor
Job No: 518039
Work Type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Engineering
California State University, Fresno
Lyles College of Engineering
Department of Civil & Geomatics Engineering
Fall 2023 (August 2023)
The Department of Civil & Geomatics Engineering invites applications for a tenure track faculty position in structural engineering. Focus areas are structural mechanics or structural engineering. Faculty will teach undergraduate and graduate courses and laboratories, conduct scholarly activity and applied research, mentor undergraduate and graduate students, and engage in service-related activities at all levels of the University. The faculty will be expected to:
• Contribute to the instructional programs in the broad areas of civil (structures emphasis) engineering and teach undergraduate and graduate courses,
• Mentor undergraduate and graduate students,
• Actively pursue grants and contracts and conduct research in the area of structural engineering,
• Collaborate with faculty members in the Lyles College of Engineering and Fresno State,
• Help develop short-term courses, workshops, and seminars,
• Assist with growing the enrollment in the Civil Engineering graduate program,
• Engage in service activities at all levels of the university
Specific assignments will depend on department and college needs.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
• An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) in Structural or Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
• Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, for an appointment, the doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2023.
• The ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds. The University is committed to promoting the success of all, and to reducing the barriers to success related to differences in areas such as race, ethnicity, culture, disability, and more. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and identify their strengths and experiences in this area. For additional information on the University's commitment to diversity visit: http://www.csufresno.edu/diversity.
• Demonstrated professional practice or engineering experience in the US (or equivalent) sufficient to obtain professional license as a Civil Engineer in the United States. A professional license as a Civil Engineer (PE) in the US, preferably in the State of California, will be required for tenure.
• A bachelor's degree in Civil / Structural engineering, or a closely related field, from an accredited institution. An accredited engineering degree is generally required for a PE application in California, US.
• Undergraduate and/or graduate teaching experience and demonstration of effective teaching pedagogies
• Experience in developing and leading external grants
• Experience in research and scholarly activities, such as publishing academic and professional works. Previous research experience involving shake-table testing is particularly desirable.
• A record of active participation or leadership roles in relevant professional organizations
• Experience in serving or leading student organizations or activities
• Professional certificates or licensures related to engineering and/or construction
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by October 31, 2022. Applications received after this date may not be considered. The review of applications will begin on November 1, 2022. This position automatically closes on March 31, 2023. Apply online at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu/
Attach the following:
• A cover letter, specifically addressing required education, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications;
• A current curriculum vitae;
• A statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic backgrounds, and so forth (maximum two pages);
• A statement that reflects on how you would leverage your education background, training, and experience in teaching and research (maximum two pages); and
• Provide name and contact information of three professional references.
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit the following within the designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
• Official transcripts
• Three current letters of recommendation.
Search Chair: Ching Chiaw Choo, PhD, PE
Department of Civil & Geomatics Engineering
Lyles College of Engineering
About Fresno State
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect, and ethical behavior, visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity
The campus is ranked 36th in the nation by https://washingtonmonthly.com/2022-college-guide/national/; ranked 3rd by https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in http://time.com/money/best-colleges/profile/california-state-university-fresno/. The campus is classified as an R2 “Doctoral Universities - High research activities” university per https://carnegieclassifications.acenet.edu/
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
About the College and Department:
California State University, Fresno has offered engineering courses since 1922. The Lyles College of Engineering currently offers seven undergraduate degree programs and five graduate degree programs and/or options. The department of Civil and Geomatics Engineering currently has sixteen tenured/tenure track faculty and enrollment of 471 students. The student body is very diverse, 20% of the enrolled students are female, and about 65% of enrolled students are from groups traditionally underrepresented in the engineering professions. The department offers ABET accredited BS degrees in Civil Engineering, and Geomatics Engineering, and MS degrees in Civil Engineering and a Water Resources and Environmental Engineering option. Faculty have a wide range of experience covering broad areas of structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation, water resources and environmental engineering, geodesy, land surveying, photogrammetry and more. The department has well equipped laboratories including a seismic shake table laboratory. Faculty research is funded by federal, state and regional agencies and industry. Graduates of the department are in high demand.
The Fresno State campus sits in the midst of the San Joaquin Valley, a valley rich in the traditions and representation of Native American peoples and cultures. We are grateful to be in the traditional homelands of the Yokuts and Mono peoples, whose diverse tribal communities share stewardship over this land.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. Any offer of employment may be withdrawn, or employment may be terminated based on the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and must comply with the requirements outlined in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3421590
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.