Location: London (Hybrid working: 2-3 days in the office)
Who We Are
The Useful Simple Trust (UST) is a highly renowned group of professional design and consultancy practices, driving change through our four brands: Expedition Engineering, Useful Projects, Useful Studio and Thomas Matthews.
The company has 80+ talented and committed civil and structural engineers, architects, strategists and designers, sustainability & construction innovation consultants who work side-by-side creating positive outcomes for our changing environment following our key company values: Work for Good, More with Less, Restore and Adapt and Get, Set, Zero. As a Social Enterprise, B-Corp™ and Employee Benefit Organisation, we do things differently. Our people are highly motivated and committed, in part because our structure and values mean that our combined success is shared equitably. We share part of our profit and re-invest the rest in research, social and environmental projects. We deliver purposeful projects that we believe have a sustainable impact on our clients and the wider human environment. We are particularly focused on the sector's biggest challenges around productivity, resource efficiency and the climate emergency / net zero.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a structural engineer with between 3-5 years' experience. You will be working towards professional membership and will have experience to design structural elements in accordance with codes of practice across a range of materials e.g. steel and concrete, masonry, timber. You will enjoy working with and building relationships with internal and external project teams. You will utilise your knowledge and skills to provide support to the wider Trust.
You'll enjoy taking on a range of your own tasks, some project related, some wider business oriented; all of which helps us to run a strong business. You will be committed to your development and be proactive in seeking expansion of your knowledges and experiences and we will support you on this journey.
The successful candidate will have a range of experience and/or potential (with training) to cover the below:
• To contribute to the delivery of projects and their technical guidance
• Able to develop and assist with calculations for a building control application
• Ability to brief others on work packages and supervise them
• Assist with preparing options and scheme designs to satisfy project criteria
• Ability or interest in use of rhino and other 3D modelling software
• Able to liaise with CAD team to facilitate the preparation of drawings. Ability or interest in embodied carbon calculations and wider whole life carbon assessments
• Build good working relationships with peers in external companies
• Demonstrate your ability to use basic project management tools (e.g. resourcing, monthly reporting)
• Attend events for your own professional development (i.e. CPD) and to expand your own network
• Assist with drafting fee proposals, scope of services and initial review of appointment documents
• Contribute to practice wide initiatives
Core attributes and knowledge are expected to include:
• Working towards chartered membership of an appropriate professional body such as IStructE or ICE
• A grounding in structural design appropriate to experience
• Awareness and engagement in wider industry challenges facing the construction sector including embodied carbon and low-carbon design approaches
• Basic knowledge of Rhino or other 3D software would be desirable
• Enthusiastic person, who takes pride in her/his work
• Structural background
• Proactive person who enjoys working on challenging jobs
• Flexible, organised and good communicator
• Passionate about building a better future
What we offer:
We believe in investing and growing our people as much as we do our business. We foster talent, equal opportunity, diversity, inclusion, and wellbeing to develop a high performing and sustainable workforce.
The package comprises:
• Flexible working including 9-day fortnight scheme
• Professional membership fees
• Bupa Private medical insurance
• Annual Eyecare Scheme
• Workplace EAP & WeCare 24/7 GP access
• Life Assurance
• Company pension scheme
• Cycle to work scheme