Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you'll be doing
As the Environmental Engineer
, you will be accountable for developing, briefing, and providing technical input to ensure we have the correct environmental requirements within the Project Definition Briefs and providing environmental support during the promotion stage, delivery, commissioning, and handover of assets.
Keeping up to date with relevant changes in environmental legislation and initiatives, you'll act as a subject matter expert, working with consultants, contractors, and teams across Thames Water to identify risks and constraints and implement solutions.
To better protect the environment in which we operate, as part of our goal to become a more sustainable business, working with our capital delivery partners and supply chain contractors, we are committed to reducing our embodied carbon emissions by 25% compared to AMP6 levels.
You'll also be key in promoting the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that leads Thames Water's engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond.
This instrumental opportunity is in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and the day-to-day duties include:
We're looking for you to
- Lead on excellence in environmental engineering across the Thames Water business
- Define, develop, and maintain environmental engineering competencies across the business
- Provide environmental and technical input into projects
- Ensure we are compliant with engineering-based regulatory requirements
- Devising the best tools and systems to monitor performance and implement strategies
- Defining, analysing, and collating environmental performance data and reporting information to stakeholders
- Support the coaching and mentoring of the team
What's in it for you?
- Take ownership of risks, being curious to fully understand the constrain and identify the best solution to resolve them the first time
- Be a recognised engineer in environmental engineering with experience in the water industry
- Have expertise in one or more of these areas: embodied carbon and natural-based solutions, natural capital management, and biodiversity
- Understand the regulatory environment to achieve compliance with our engineering regulatory requirement
- Be a chartered environmental engineer or working towards chartership
- Have excellent communication and influencing skills, to engage with our stakeholders
- Deliver an exceptional service through a passionate and positive approach, taking accountability for your role while working accurately and flexibly within a busy team
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the newly established Engineering team, which is accountable for providing technical expertise to the business. You will be able to help shape the new engineering function and to design solutions for implementation as part of a wide portfolio of projects. This is your chance to learn about the world around us and the environmental challenges and make a positive difference.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days of holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing. We are pleased to accept applications from people who are looking for part-time/job share and flexible working opportunities as the role is fully adaptable.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you'll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working arrangements.
We're also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you'll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an Ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues, and a earn bit of extra money along the way.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.