GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK
Under the guidance and supervision of a professional engineer, performs and assists in engineering calculations, design and planning for municipal public works projects required to maintain and improve the physical infrastructure of the City of Lebanon’s natural gas system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide detailed engineering calculations, analysis and design and project management services related to the maintenance and operation of the natural gas distribution system.
• Assists in the design and development of plans, specifications and contract documents of public works improvements for natural gas systems.
• Perform engineering studies and prepare reports for the Utilities Director, Operations Manager and others.
• Review developer plans to ensure conformance with City and State and Federal standards and specifications, ordinances, regulations and laws relating to design and construction natural gas systems.
• Perform general project management functions for contracts performed by outside engineering and surveying consultants and contractors working for the City.
• Perform engineering analysis and computer modeling of natural gas systems.
• Assist in the preparation and administration of construction contracts and perform field inspections to insure compliance with plans and specifications.
• Assist contractors, consultants, developers and general public in requests for information and analysis of data on file in City Engineer's Office.
• Work with survey crews and locators in gathering field data.
• Assist the public with inquires.
• Contact private property owners to acquire public easements and rights-of-way.
• Performs related duties as assigned
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains and develops the gas system model within the SynerGEE Gas software.
• Assist in the maintenance of GIS mapping system
• Studies engineering literature, regulations, codes and other sources to keep abreast of engineering progress
• Recommends remedial actions for outages
• Performs related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Must be able to perform multiple tasks.
• Ability to work independently and with a group.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with other employees and the general public.
• Ability to read and understand construction plans.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices relating to Public Utilities Maintenance.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering particularly as applied to municipal public works.
• General knowledge in the areas of natural gas systems.
• General knowledge of public works design, construction and maintenance methods, materials and equipment.
• General knowledge of City ordinances, State and Federal laws and regulations pertaining to public service utility operations.
• Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing to groups and individuals.
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the general public, developers, consultants, customers, and fellow workers.
• Knowledge of ESRI GIS software preferred.
• Must have a valid Tennessee driver’s license.
• Ability to implement and assure adherence to City of Lebanon policies and procedures regarding Equal Employment Opportunity.
• Ability to adhere to City of Lebanon initiative on business ethics and conduct.
• Ability to adhere to federal/state laws and regulations regarding MSDS, OSHA and EPA compliance.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Some knowledge of mathematics and ability to make arithmetical calculations quickly and accurately.
Engineer in Training Certification is preferred. If not currently held, the Engineer in Training Certification must be obtained within 12 months of hire or date of promotion.
Graduation from a four-year ABET accredited college/university with degree in engineering.
Valid Tennessee Driver's License and clear driving record are required.