The City of Healdsburg is seeking a full-time Senior Civil Engineer to join the Public Works Department. This position will be responsible in providing high-level professional support on large scale Operations and Engineering projects. This is an opportunity to join a small team, gain a wide range of hands-on experience within the department.
Desired qualifications include experience in project management, grant writing and preparation of grant application submittal documents, knowledge of engineering development review processes and field experience in construction inspection. This position acts as the City’s MS4 storm water program coordinator and will actively participate in the regional storm water co-permittee group representing the City of Healdsburg. Knowledge of consultant selection and oversight process. Experience working with Caltrans local assistance highly desired. Possession of a valid Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California required at time of appointment.
By joining our team at the City of Healdsburg, you can take advantage of our amazing benefits, such as low to no cost health insurance rates, CalPERS retirement pension, and generous paid time off! The salary range for the Senior Civil Engineer is $9,835 - $12,001 per month.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, prioritize, and review the work of staff assigned to a variety of professional and technical engineering tasks including CIP project planning, analysis, design, construction, plan checking, inspections, special studies, and issuance of special reports.
- Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
- Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Develop plans, specifications, estimates and work orders for the construction of public works and City projects; ensure compliance with City standards, pertinent laws, codes and regulations.
- Serve as project manager for the construction of capital projects including inspection, contract administration, project budget and claims avoidance; assist with the selection and oversight of outside consultants.
- Prepare reports, initiate, design and conduct studies, analysis, and prepare estimates for new or modified services and facilities as well as long-range City maintenance and capital improvement needs, and recommend specific proposals; oversee the completion of complex engineering assignments and projects; perform complex calculations and prepare engineer’s estimate of construction costs.
- Oversee public bidding process and award bids, prepare, and administer construction and professional service contracts and agreements; write and administer development agreements, conditions of approval, and review of private development projects; administer payments.
- Review and check plans for conformance with design standards, codes and regulations; perform special studies, projects and assignments as assigned by the Director of Public Works and Transportation; process projects through the various phases from construction to close out; make field inspections and reviews of projects under construction, including buildings, utility drainage, and street infrastructure to ensure proper execution of critical structural phases as designed and shown on approved plans and to resolve issues.
- Coordinate public works activities with other City departments, divisions and sections and with outside agencies; respond to public inquiries and concerns regarding projects, City infrastructure and other inquiries.
- Research, apply for and manage a variety of grants, ensuring compliance with requirements.
- Receive and investigate inquiries and complaints from the public.
- Make presentations to the City Council, other boards and commissions and committees, and outside agencies as requested.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
- Relevant local, State, and Federal laws, rules and regulations related to area of assignment.
- Principles, practices and terminology of professional civil engineering as applied to the planning, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of municipal public works and utilities.
- Principles and practices of engineer’s cost estimating.
- Principles and practices of common public works construction methods, materials and practices, including construction safety methods.
- City engineering policies, standards and procedures.
- Perform the most complex duties related to civil engineering duties.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
- On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
- Provide technical and functional supervision over assigned staff; effectively train staff.
- Make accurate, complex engineering calculations, including estimating time and materials costs.
- Perform advanced civil engineering work, including design and the completion of complex projects, with a minimum of supervision.
- Use and care for engineering and drafting tools and equipment.
- Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Operate and use modern office equipment including computers and applicable software.
- Maintain regular attendance and adhere to prescribed work schedule to conduct job responsibilities.
- Utilize appropriate safety procedures and practices for assigned duties.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Training - Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Five years of responsible journey experience similar to Associate Civil Engineer with the City of Healdsburg.
Training: Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field.
License and Certificate: Failure to obtain or maintain such required license(s) may be cause for disciplinary action.