A very flexible opportunity for a self-employed Geotechnical Engineer, home based with occasional UK travel (c.10%) to visit customer sites. Ideally you will be based in the Midlands (between Manchester and Bedford) but we can be flexible if you are.
This is a new role and we estimate the workload to be initially 2 days per week and growing as our enquiry levels increase. Our sales projections would estimate this could develop in to a more full time role in 2 years if the successful candidate preferred to go full time and could potentially be employed or self-employed from there onwards. Or this could appeal to somebody looking to take early retirement in favour of a part time role for the next couple of years or so.
You will be carrying out surveys, soil analysis and able to complete design drawing for projects (for example 4m high retaining wall), combined with the relevant loading calculations, method statements and risk assessments for Soil filled mechanically stabilised earth (MSE) bagwork. Typical applications include the repair or formation of embankments, slopes or retaining walls, the creation of pipe or culvert headwalls and training walls, the lining and formalising of open channels and the formation of earth bunds or berms. We would expect the role to be c90% home based and 10% in the field.
Whilst you will be working on a self-employed basis (in the first year or two at least), the company will arrange the Professional Indemnity Insurance to support the designs information being provided.
* Hold a relevant Degree in Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Sciences or Geology
* Minimum of 2-5 years' experience within the geotechnical, remediation and/or geo-environmental consultancy/contracting industries
* Geotechnical information interpretation and works specification design
* Be able to produce a complete design drawing for a project
* Have experience or knowledge of geotechnical engineering including exposure to soil mechanics, geotechnical validation, ground investigation and foundation design
* Full valid UK Driving License
Additional skills / experience:
* CSCS competency card (Construction skills Certification Scheme) - Required to carry out site visits.
* AutoCAD / GEO5 software experience (take offs, volumetric, basic drawings)
* Chemical analysis interpretation for risk assessment and waste classification
* Production of Method Statement and Risk/COSHH Assessments
* Adherence to environmental/quality management systems
* An understanding of remediation and soil stabilisation technologies
* Setting out/Surveying experience, If possible including topographical surveys
* First class analytical and technical writing abilities. Sound communication and writing skills (English)
For more information please forward your CV to John Hutchinson and I will call you at a time convenient for you to discuss further.
Job Types: Part-time, Freelance or full time could be possilbe.
Part-time hours: 16 - 40 per week
Salary: £35,000.00-£50,000.00 per year pro rata part time.
* Work from home
* Monday to Friday
* Based within the UK ideally central England to give good road networks for UK travel
* Degree in Civil Engineering/Environmental Sciences /Geology: 1 year (required)
* geotechnical, remediation and/or geo-environmental industry: 2 years (required)
* Be able to produce a complete design drawing for a project: 2 years (required)
* AutoCAD / GEO5 software: 2 years (required)