1st Step Solutions are currently working with a National Contractor who are looking to recruit a Project Engineer to be based in Derby.
* To be responsible to your assigned PM for delivering multi-disciplined projects and packages associated with building engineering services and construction, estimating, construction engineering design, procurement, cost control, site management, installation, testing, commissioning, handover and any warranty.
Aims & Objectives:
* To develop effective working relationships with fellow team members and clients, in order to maximise the opportunities to secure and win new work.
* To provide technical engineering advice to fellow members of the team and clients, as and when necessary to support the successful execution of the work.
* To ensure Project Engineering services are delivered safely to programme, within budget and to the agreed quality standards.
* To work with Clients to develop a relationship that results in repeat business
* To ensure Project Engineering and technical standards are maintained throughout the project, meeting specification requirements and in accordance with Quality Management Systems and Control.
* Ensure project Risk is managed and communicated.
* Report to management on project progress, issues, risks and opportunities.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
* Sequence and programme works, establishing work scope, specifications, programmes and cost control of professional designs, resources, agency resources and sub-contracted works.
* Co-ordinate all aspects of assigned contracts, ensuring completion within estimated costs, safely and to the required standards of workmanship.
* Prepare work programmes, ensuring activities are planned in line with available resources, understand the interfaces and coordination with other disciplines and contractors.
* Procure, co-ordinate and monitor project activities.
* Establish the procurement schedules and specifications for engaging suppliers and subcontractors.
* Compare suppliers and subcontractors' quality and costs against procurement schedules and assists in identifying their suitability for the work and provision of services, including supplier feedback.
* In conjunction with other relevant staff review the performance levels of subcontractors in terms of quality, service and their Health and Safety management.
* Prepare site documentation, including Construction Phase Plans, Risk Assessments and Method Statements to comply with Health and Safety requirements & legislation.
* To understand construction and design engineering specifications and standards ensuring that all considerations are accounted for in the execution of work.
* Identify Construction Engineering Design requirements in order to engage and/or others to carry out the work.
* Check construction design engineering drawings for accuracy and buildability, and address/ resolve any shortfalls in order to ensure successful execution.
* Attend engineering/project/Client progress meetings to provide the necessary input to support the successful execution of the work
* Ensure understanding of the impact of the Construction Design Management Regulations, Construction Regulations and Codes of Practice and comply with current legal requirements.
* Ensure understanding of the contract conditions that applies to each assigned project/area of work.
* To work closely with the commercial team to manage variations and changes to the scope of work/ timescales/cost/risk, with emphasis on receiving payment for additional activities.
* Understanding of the financial plans/set budgets and the methods for monitoring cost, spend, value.
* Understand the controls for managing risk throughout all stages of the work, including risk controls. Monitoring and reporting.
* Assist in the preparation of Invitations to Tender and evaluation of returned tenders
* Assist with the take-off and requisition materials
* Control and monitor the management of site labour
* Report on all aspects of the work scope under own control
* Undertake site and works visits as required by the execution of own duties and undertake site HSE Audits.
* Work with members of the Central Engineering Design Department, to ensure that professional advice and support is provided to Clients and that new standards are implemented at the right time.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
* Be qualified to at least City and Guilds Level 3 in a building services discipline.
* Experience of working on contracts with an M&E or Civil value in range from £100k to £1M.
* Experience in planning and executing programmes for building services and/or construction projects.
* Strong H&S management awareness.
* Strong financial awareness and good organisational skills.
* Experience in project financial control and forecasting.
* Labour management experience.
* Ability to produce project reports and meet deadlines.
* Ability to sequence and programme the works, utilising different planning and programming methods/ techniques to meet client and project requirements.
* Experience in the production of O&M Manuals, drawings documents.
* Ability to survey and report on existing engineering installations.
* Ability to survey, track and monitor work and report on progress.
* Ability and willingness to travel and work within the office or based on sites as required.
* Basic skills and knowledge of AutoCAD and the ability to read and interpret drawings.
* Good communications skills with the ability to produce and deliver presentations.
* Good interpersonal skills to develop client relationships to further develop the business