Position Title: Plant Engineer, HWTP Location: Hanahan
Status: Established Position: Full-time
Salary Range: $70,720.00 ($34.00/hr) - $113,172.80 ($54.41/hr) Grade: 112
Department: Hanahan Water Treatment Plant Hours: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm (Flexible)
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED THROUGH SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2022.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Under limited supervision prepares project designs, drawings, construction documents, cost estimates, material orders, reports, addenda and change orders, and planning recommendations as required for each project. Provides technical guidance to assist in the operations and maintenance of the water/wastewater treatment facilities.
• Development of capital projects for plant optimization, manpower efficiency, and regulatory compliance.
• Developing and prioritizing equipment upgrades and new purchases.
• Performs studies and engineering investigation and provide cost estimates.
• Provide project management for projects assigned to outside engineering consultants.
• Coordinate with Engineering & Construction department engineers on completion of major capital projects
• Manage technical aspects of implementing net recurring projects. Coordinate with all stakeholders.
• Evaluate work process that are labor intensive and develop systems and procedures to automate and simplify
• Identify, locate, and evaluate equipment to maximize use of personnel and reduce other operating costs.
• Routinely inspect and spot-check all facilities to identify physical plant deficiencies and needs.
• Assist maintenance program in problem solving and successful task completion, primarily with corrective
• Assist operations program in identifying and developing improvement opportunities, including optimization projects.
• Regular attendance is required.
• Job performance must conform to all CWS Policies and procedures.
• Specific knowledge of CWS Environmental Management System policies and procedures.
• Subject to 24-hour on-call.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements, Activities, and Working Conditions
• Routinely ascend/descend ladders, stairs and ramps as high as three (3) stories. Ability to work at elevated height levels as needed to perform various task.
• Ability to make visual observations of repairs, construction, equipment installation and field work in progress to ensure compliance.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally and with a 2-way radio, to include comprehension of complex oral and written instructions.
• Ability to move about extensively for long distances over an extensive plant site with varied topography and features.
• Ability to read and comprehend detailed technical reports.
• Occasionally positions self to exert up to 50 lbs of force and/or up to 25 lbs of force constantly to move objects. Objects greater than 50 lbs require a two-person operation.
• Constantly works in internal / external environmental conditions. Subject to atmospheric conditions of one or more of the following that affect the respiratory system or skin: Fumes (paint), odors, dusts, gases, etc. Personnel Protective Equipment Required.
• May be required to wear a respirator and/or self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
• Required to work with chemicals used in wastewater treatment processes.
• Ability to convey detailed instructions to associates and contractors accurately, loudly, and quickly.
• Frequently positions self to move, traverse to perform required work.
• Frequent sedentary work with extended sitting required.
• Occasional exposure to loud machinery. Hearing Protection Required.
• Ability to issue, receive and understand complex oral and written instructions.
• Ability to observe and comprehend computer screens.
• Must be able to make visual observations in daylight and night.
• Ability to operate and maintain motor vehicles.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally and with a 2-way radio to include comprehension of complex oral and written instructions.
• Must be able to wear Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) as defined in the Job Safety Analysis (JSA) to perform the required essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or similar discipline with four (4) years of progressive experience in wastewater or water treatment systems or similar industrial environment.
• Computer skills: must have extensive experience with Windows based word processing and spreadsheet
software (prefer Word and Excel). Including use of complex, menu driven programs.
• Good public speaking skills enabling the presentation of reports, project concepts and other information to
regulatory boards, environmental groups, town or city councils or others as required.
• Prior work record indicating dependability and conscientiousness.
• Proficient is statistical process control and design of experiment protocols
• Database administration experience preferred.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
• Must possess and maintain "A" level Water Treatment, Biological Wastewater and Physical/Chemical certification in South Carolina.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer required.
• Valid South Carolina Driver's License required.
• OSHA and Departmental safety training as required.
• Skills Based Training.
• Standard Operating Instruction (SOI) per department requirements.
• ISO 14001 standards for department and company.
• See Department Competency and Training Matrix for this position.
Potential Career Path:
ELIGIBILITY FOR PROMOTION TO VARIOUS POSITIONS THROUGHOUT THE COMMISSION DEPENDS UPON INDIVIDUAL QUALIFICATIONS, AND NOTED JOB PROGRESSIONS ARE NO GUARANTEE OF CAREER PATH TO THESE OR ANY OTHER JOB(S) AT THE COMMISSION.
• Director of Engineering
• Director of Water Treatment