Obsidian Geo-Consulting Limited
Obsidian Geo-Consulting Limited is a specialist consultancy providing ground investigation and assessment consultancy services. We provide expertise in the area of ground investigation and assessment for the development and construction industry and pride ourselves in our ability to respond to our clients needs with agility and flexibility, tailoring our investigations and assessments to meet the needs and specific requirements of our clients.Position Description: Graduate Geotechnical/Geo-Environmental Engineer
The position of Graduate Geotechnical/Geo-Environmental Engineer within Obsidian requires an agile and flexible approach to all aspects of ground investigation and assessment with the desire for continued, professional development. You will be based in our Birmingham office and will be required to travel to project locations throughout the UK. You will report to senior members of the team and will be expected to work both independently or as part of a project team maintaining the core values and professionalism required of an Obsidian Engineer.
The core skills and experience required for the position are as follows:
- BSc in an Environmental/Geotechnical/Earth Science related subject.
- An MSc is desirable but not essential.
- Up to 3 years of relevant experience in ground investigation and assessment in the UK.
- Knowledge and experience in the investigation, remediation and validation of contaminated land.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience with the MS Office suite.
- Technical report writing experience.
- Knowledge of generic and site-specific contaminated land risk assessments.
- Experience of geotechnical assessments for foundations.
- Ability to assist in the design and management of geotechnical and geo-environmental ground investigations.
- An understanding of current UK legislation for contaminated land.
- Experience of logging soils to BS5930/Eurocode 7.
- An entry level knowledge of AutoCAD and Holebase SI packages.
- Working towards membership of a professional body (Geological Society of London/CIWEM).
- Full UK drivers licence.
The main responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Assist in the provision of geo-environmental expertise and advice on a wide range of projects.
- Production of Phase 1 Desk Studies.
- Gas and groundwater monitoring.
- Design and supervision of Phase 2 Intrusive Geotechnical and Environmental Investigations.
- Production of Phase 2 Assessment Reports.
- Assist in the production of Phase 3 Remediation Strategies.
- Assist in the design, supervision and validation of Phase 4 Remediation works.
- Liaising with clients regarding all aspects of Obsidians technical services.
- Maintaining an appropriate level of continuing professional development (CPD).
You will be offered a competitive salary commensurate with experience with a generous annual leave entitlement and company pension. You will also be supported with assistance in maintaining continued professional development and with the provision of a comprehensive training programme. You will have use of a company vehicle when you are required to travel on company business.