About the Position
VRE is the Place to Be! The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) has an opportunity for a dynamic and experienced Project Manager with a Professional Engineer (PE) license and strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to plan and manage multiple VRE capital projects through the design and construction phase. This position coordinates project design and construction for multiple capital projects and improvements simultaneously including railroad, railroad facilities, and station construction and maintenance projects and provides engineering and construction management input during the planning and environmental compliance phases.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering or related discipline
- Demonstrated success performing job duties and responsibilities directly related to those of position to include design and/or construction experience on infrastructure projects, with supervisory or project lead responsibilities
- Public sector/transportation/rail experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including ability to present information orally and in writing to a wide range of audiences
- Experience effectively using technology, systems, and tools to include Microsoft Office, Outlook, project management/controls software, and enterprise resource program (ERP) software for management of project information and reporting
- Possession of a current Professional Engineer (PE) license from the Commonwealth of Virginia or eligibility for obtaining license within one year of position placement; or registration as PE in another state with the capability of acquiring Virginia registration within six months of position placement
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering or related discipline
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, current auto insurance, and always maintain a safe driving record during employment with VRE
- Must be flexible and available to work outside of normal business hours in a dynamic Commuter Rail operating environment
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary and outstanding benefits. Hiring range from $101,560.08 - $155,336.14 and will be dependent on experience & credentials of successful candidate. Benefits include:
- Virginia Retirement System (VRS) membership
- No and low-premium health insurance options
- Dental and vision insurance
- Disability and life insurance
- Pre-tax childcare and health flexible spending plans
- Paid time off including a generous number of holidays
- No cost travel on VRE trains and free office parking
- Continuing education, professional development, and tuition reimbursement
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE), a joint project of the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission and the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission, provides safe, cost effective, accessible, reliable, convenient, and comfortable commuter-oriented rail passenger service. VRE operates thirty-two trains each weekday on two lines, Fredericksburg and Manassas, which converge in Alexandria and continue into the District of Columbia. Most trains run north in the morning and south in the afternoon/evening.
VRE directly serves nine cities and counties in Central and Northern Virginia, with nineteen total stations in the rail system. VRE contributes to the economic development of its member jurisdictions and is an integral part of a balanced, intermodal regional transportation system.
Our Culture… VRE’s workforce is comprised of a passionate and dedicated workforce. The culture is collaborative, team spirited, and is highly focused on safety and people – both customers and employees. We celebrate diversity and varying thoughts and perspectives and strive to create a sense of belonging for all. Every individual is valued, effective communication is a top priority, and the friendly atmosphere is inviting and fosters engagement, productivity, and business results. VRE really is the place to be!
VRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. VRE is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunities for all employees and to providing employees with work environment free of discrimination and harassment.