What’s it like working for a company that delivers life-saving products and services to our nation’s military? Humbling. As part of our Ordnance Systems team, you will be working alongside some of the industry's top talent on the forefront of energetics technology. We are currently hiring for an experienced Structural Engineer with a PE license in Tennessee to support design and construction of critical, multi-million dollar modernization projects at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, TN. This work includes planning, design, analysis, construction, and maintenance of chemical plant facilities and infrastructure.
Here, we value our workforce, and their well-being. We prioritize safety, work life balance, and offer competitive benefits. This position is currently working 2-3 days / week on-site and 2 days / week remotely on a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off. Make a difference doing work you can be proud of, be challenged, and be part of a team that shares a passion of helping to protect our nation.
In this role, you will be responsible for structural engineering and technical tasks to support design and construction of critical, multi-million dollar modernization programs. This work includes planning, design, analysis, construction, and maintenance of chemical plant facilities and infrastructure.
The Principal Structural Engineer performs one or more of the following functions:
- Perform project engineering working in a multi-discipline engineering team to plan, design, construct, and maintain chemical plant facilities including supporting utilities and infrastructure
- Select construction materials and methods, create engineering estimates, write specifications and scopes of work, create and supervise the preparation of civil, structural, and architectural drawings, control cost, and manage work to meet project schedules
- Perform structural design and analysis for bridges, structural steel buildings, reinforced concrete buildings and structures, pipe supports, and foundation systems
- Perform civil engineering design and analysis for piping networks (water distribution systems and sprinkler systems), sewer system layouts and hydraulics, pumping systems, water and waste water treatment systems, road and railroad layouts, including grade, alignment, and drainage, containment, diversion, and treatment systems for pollution abatement.
- Conduct inspections of existing facilities such as buildings, tank farms, tunnels, roads, railroads, bridges, pipe bridges, and pipelines to determine the integrity and safety of the structure. Make recommendations concerning any needed modifications.
- Determine root cause of structural or system failures and recommend corrective action.
- Oversee mapping and surveying functions which involve layout of new facilities and maintenance of records of site plans, plant layouts, and above-ground and underground utilities
- Provide technical oversight during construction including shop drawing review and approval, ensure construction is in accordance with plans, specifications, and good construction practices
- Consider safety in all aspects of design and construction
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university (essential) ideally with an emphasis in structural engineering. We may consider a closely related degree.
- Professional Engineering License in Tennessee.
- Typically 8+ years experience in industrial construction, with an emphasis in structural engineering.
- Proficient knowledge of CADD tools (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Revit, Visual Analysis, STAAD/RAM, etc.) for efficient production of engineering work.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Possess clear and concise verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated with ability to work in a team environment with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to meet required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks.
- Ability to direct design teams and external design firms.
- Review and approve design packages from equipment suppliers and design firms providing constructability input.
- Ability to interface with site operations and maintenance teams.
- Capable of creating required engineering documentation using Microsoft Office Suite products including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, and Access.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Professional Engineering License in Virginia or ability to obtain license
- Skilled in principles of project management
- Experience in the design and construction of chemical facilities that involve the use of acids and solvents in the production of energetic materials