The Assistant Manager reports to the Gas Manager and provides professional assistance in planning and organizing the Gas Division of the Utilities Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create a culture where all employees are empowered to deliver high performance. Take ownership of the health, safety and welfare of the divisions work force.
- Assist in the management of gas support and administration functions including, but not limited to regulatory compliance and permitting, corrosion control, leak survey, equipment maintenance and support, finance management, budget, purchasing, inventory, work control, safety, security, contract administration, and other management activities.
- Assists in planning, directing, coordinating, and supervising all operations of the department, ensuring work is carried out in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner consistent with department and city standards and policies.
- Manages the functions of the natural gas distribution system in the absence of the Manager. Call out for after-hours emergencies & repairs. (receives no on-call pay)
- Assists in formulating operating budget and maintains satisfactory conformance with budget guidelines, tracks expenditures, and ensures personnel conform to purchasing policies and procedures.
- Assists in the maintenance of the 5-year Capital Improvement plan.
- Makes recommendations regarding hiring, disciplinary actions, and promotions of assigned employees; reviews performance reports and rates employee performance; authorizes leaves and overtime; counsel employees on work related problems; and exercises authority for department personnel actions consistent with City rules and other applicable regulations.
- Formulates related policies, programs, service levels, and capital projects to meet current and future municipal gas operation system needs.
- Ability to calculate monthly gas rates for all gas system customers.
- Maintains an in-touch relationship on the availability and purchase of natural gas, to ensure adequate gas supplies are available to meet customer demands.
- Attend meetings & training in lieu of Gas Manager. Represents City of Lebanon Gas Dept. with Tennessee Regulatory Authority during all meetings and inspections.
- Professionally represent the City at Customer functions, Industry events, and other meetings.
- Assist with mission, vision, values and long-term goal updates and key performance indicator tracking.
- Coordinate with Gas Manager and Office staff to maintain current inventory of all Division assets.
- Conduct periodic inventory and/or audits of assets.
- Ensures personnel wear prescribed safety equipment and perform tasks in a safe manner in accordance with the City and Divisions Safety and Operations standards.
- As needed, conduct Root Cause Analysis of accidents and gas line damages to formulate process improvements and implement, evaluate success of changes.
- Assist with employee meetings to pass on information concerning plans, policy changes, benefits, customer problems and trends in the gas industry.
- Works with developers on contracts for gas service. Surveys areas to determine the economic feasibility of main extensions. Review work orders and time sheets, and ensures time is correctly recorded. Reviews work orders for accurate location of work completed as it relates to overall mapping program.
- Assists in handling customer problems and complaints by researching information and resolving to mutual satisfaction of all concerned, keeping the best interest of the gas division foremost. Keeps abreast of new developments relevant to the natural gas industry.
- Ensures that sound customer service is maintained between gas department personnel, customers, dealers, developers, builders, and suppliers, so the goals and objectives of the department are met.
- Ensures that Gas Division documents and manuals are current and distributed to appropriate staff; ensures staff is appropriately trained. Ensure compliance to all Gas Division policies and procedures.
- Assists other departments as directed by the Gas Manager or Utilities Director. Attends council meetings as directed by the Gas Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of process management with proven track record in implementing changes
- Ability to manage medium to large projects through to delivery
- Ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Strong negotiations, presentation, communication, and critical analysis skills
- Bottom-line oriented, budget-conscious, metric/measurement driven
- Thorough understanding of business strategies and finance-related performance metrics Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common engineering reports and documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write reports and specifications for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or City Council members.
- General knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- General knowledge of the construction, maintenance and operating procedure f or the gas system.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations relating to the gas department.
- Ability to inspect gas systems operations and recommend changes to comply with governmental regulations. Knowledge and experience with the use of GPS equipment.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
Basic Minimum Qualification Requirements
H.S. Diploma is required. Preference will be given to candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering, construction, project management or other related coursework, from an accredited college or university. Equivalent combination of education, certifications, training, and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in gas operations with a minimum of 1-2 years of supervisory experience over the operations of a gas department or utility is required.
If candidate does not possess the preferred bachelor’s degree, the minimum requirement is 8-10 years of relevant experience in the Natural Gas Industry, preferably with a municipal gas department or utility. And must have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in managerial or high-level supervisory roles.
Must have a valid Tennessee Driver's License and clear driving record.
OTHER TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
Must qualify within the approved City of Lebanon Operator Qualification Plan for the Gas Department, subject to current requirements of said plan within the probationary period.
Must possess strong computer skills and familiarity with MS Office Suite and computerized maintenance management.
It shall be the responsibility of the City of Lebanon Utilities Director to assess the type(s) of reasonable accommodations which may be necessary to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of this role and to provide such necessary reasonable accommodations to a qualified individual with a disability, provided that nothing herein shall be construed to require the provision of reasonable accommodations if doing so will impose an undue hardship on the employing agency or a direct threat to the safety of himself/herself or others.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is generally performed both in the office and in the field. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must operate a city vehicle and occasionally works in outside weather conditions, will be exposed to sun, heat, rain, wind, snow, ice, cold, wet, and humid conditions.
Must reside in Wilson County or within a 30-minute response time to the Lebanon Gas Department.
Will be required to maintain a take home vehicle for immediate response to afterhours calls, emergencies, and repairs.
Starting annual salary range is $70,926 to $83,449 DOQ. Position is salaried, exempt for purposes of federal wage and hour regulations.
Employment is probationary for first six months of employment with the City.
The City of Lebanon provides its full-time employees with an excellent benefits package! Full Time City Employees receive 14 paid holidays and 18 PTO days the first year (23 PTO days after the first year and increases every 5 years after) and health, dental, vision, life, and disability PLUS a generous pension/401k hybrid retirement package through Tennessee Consolidated Retirement Systems (TCRS).