Perform civil engineering design, including the creation of grading, stormwater, and utility plans; design gravity and pumped septic systems; plan and permit site developments; design drinking water treatment and distribution systems; assess and analyze flows in pressurized drinking water networks; design roads and driveways; and monitor construction of these facilities. Coordinate with other disciplines to ensure communication of design changes and effects on civil design. Oversee, supervise, manage, and mentor support staff engineers, engineering interns, and drafters. The position will be in the Jackson, Wyoming office of Y2 Consultants.
MAJOR TASKS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Department Management
- Confers with potential clients to develop proposals and estimates, determine project requirements, timeframes, and other information necessary to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Alerts the necessary personnel of any changes to the proposed scope of services, budget, or contract.
- Ensures that projects follow all federal, state, and local laws, and any requirements of the firm.
- Reviews and stamps engineering plans, reports, test results and other documents pertaining to the civil engineering department.
- Reviews and approves invoices (billing review) and assists with collection when necessary.
- Coordinates with the rest of the Civil Department to develop and maintain standard engineering standards and requirements according to industry and Y2 standards.
- Coordinates with the rest of the Civil Department to develop best practice techniques for all aspects of engineering to ensure the department has available the most efficient practices and is taking advantage of the latest available technology.
- Maintains the Civil Department Calendar with input from other team members. Reviews and approves PTO requests. Organizes and oversees interdepartmental training.
2. Work with project team members, serve as interface with clients.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with team members.
- Collaborate with Managers to prioritize projects, workloads, and needs.
3. Service to the company, community, and profession:
- Engage in appropriate behavior and conduct, aligned with Y2’s values, that is consistent with continued and strategic growth of Y2.
- Participate in marketing efforts for Y2 Consultants, as requested.
- Take an active role in community, regional, and professional organizations to positively represent Y2 and enhance your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
4. Other duties as they develop and are assigned.
5. Continuous Development of soft skills:
- Soft skills are defined as verbal communication, written communications, leadership, ability to adapt, time management, networking, and curiosity.
- A personalized development plan to be developed by staff engineer and their supervisor and reviewed semi-annually.
6. Serve as a Project Engineer/Manager performing the following functions:
- Prepare design drawings and visual aids in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Independently evaluate, select, and adapt standard techniques, procedures, and criteria consistent with Y2 standards and the requirements of the appropriate permitting agencies.
- Collect data and gather information and/or documents from clients, agencies, site visits, etc.
- Monitor construction, perform field inspections, document observations, collect field samples or data, analyze field conditions, directs contractors or subcontractors, if appropriate
- Continually develop and refine knowledge and skills relevant to civil, environmental, and geotechnical engineering.
- Perform design tasks using engineering judgement and the application of standard methods.
- Prepare and submit reports and permit applications. Prepare scopes, budgets, and schedules for projects.
- Assist with or prepare proposals to provide professional services for engineering projects.
The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to drive and/or hike to job sites.
- Must be able to remain in a sitting or standing stationary position 50% of the time.
- Must be able to safety lift and carry or otherwise move 50 pounds (22.68 kg) regularly including while traversing irregular, steep terrain and changing elevations including mountainous areas.
- Must be able to consistently work in various outdoor weather conditions such as snow, cold, hot windy type environments.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders, scaffolds, stairs, and work in confined spaces and in proximity to loud equipment.
- Must be able to position oneself to work in confined spaces such as trenches, pits, manholes, attics, and tunnels.
- Must be able to safely climb ladders while carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear most of the day.
- Must be able to work alone at times.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
An engineer with preferable a Civil Engineering Degree and with at least 5 years’ experience directly engage in civil engineering and related work.
This position is a full-time, benefited position. Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance; 401(k) plan; paid time off; life insurance; and short-and long-term disability insurance. Salary commensurate with experience. $12,000 annual housing stipend for full-time, Jackson-based staff (prorated by pay period). Subsidized housing may also be available.
Email cover letter, resume, and references (3 or more) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.