The Planning & Projects Director provides strong leadership and direction for the Planning & Projects Division, as well as provides subject matter expertise agencywide. The Planning & Projects Director devises the Agency's program and project management strategy and ensures that all engineering, construction, planning, program and project management, real estate, and surveying processes and procedures necessary to support the Agency's operations and objectives are in place. The Planning & Projects Director has overall responsibility for planning, directing, organizing and coordinating all activities for the Division.
The Planning & Projects Director is responsible for assessing the current Agency approach to the areas under the scope of responsibility, including engineering, construction, long-term planning, program and project management, real estate services and surveying. The Director provides integrated direction, management, and leadership in the administrative and business planning, budgeting, and automation efforts of a portfolio of major projects impacting multiple, strategic core functions and components across the Agency.
The Planning & Projects Director will lead the Division at both the strategic and operational levels with a focus on continual improvement and efficiency and will serve as a liaison between the agency's technical staff and technical and non-technical stakeholders which include, but are not limited to, other staff, Board members, member governments, etc. This position requires both the strategic and the technical knowledge and skills needed to successfully lead this division including comprehensive knowledge of methods, principles and practices relating to identifying problems, developing alternatives, performing analysis and making clear, comprehensive and cost-effective professional recommendations. Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as leadership qualities and strong strategic and business knowledge are key for this position.
Executive Team Role
- Consults, coordinates, and serves as principal liaison with Executive Team on strategic matters of policy, interdivisional interaction, and capital development, improvement, and management.
- Collaborates with Agency leadership and administration to establish programmatic goals and priorities for business and technology solutions to meet individual component and institutional needs.
- Recommends and participates in the development of Agency policies and procedures; may serve on Agency cross-functional teams.
- Serves as a liaison between the Agency technical staff and other staff, Board members, member government staff and other stakeholders.
Planning & Projects Leadership Role
- Directs and integrates the activities of multiple, major project operations; ensures that project efforts are generally cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting the Agency’s mission, goals, and strategic plan.
- Develops and establishes policies, strategies, and operating objectives consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and effective implementation of major cross-Agency projects and/or projects tied to strategic priorities.
- Participates in and oversees the development, implementation, and maintenance of individual project objectives and short- and long-range plans; oversees development of tracking and evaluation programs to assist in the accomplishment of established project goals and objectives.
- Manages and administers a large, diverse team of professional/technical and support staff, both directly and through lower-level managers and supervisors.
- Manages the working relationships between project leadership, the Agency Executive Team, principal business and operational stakeholders, and high-level external stakeholders.
- Directs the planning, development, and implementation of policy regarding Agency planning and capital project issues for the department.
- Develops and maintains an appropriate Division organizational structure that supports the needs of the business.
- Develops, maintains, publishes, and distributes standards and procedures that govern the management of the agency’s planning and projects functions.
- Assigns projects and ensures compliance of Division with the Agency’s policies and standards.
- Oversees the preparation of the departmental business plan and budget and ensures expenditures remain within projections.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to the Agency's strategic directions and plans, and relevant state-of-the-art systems and technology.
- Attends Board of Director meetings as needed; explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities; and negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant and controversial issues.
- Supports, encourages, and enforces workplace Safety Policies and Procedures in accordance with the Agency Safety Program.
- Performs related work as directed.
Disaster Service Worker: Employees of Tampa Bay Water are, by State and Federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities that promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property, either at the Agency or within the local or their own community.
**Please see governmentjobs.com link for qualifications**