Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you.
Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you - from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management, from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. It is our centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for local and national highway authorities, contractors and developers.
We are working on many high-profile projects and frameworks nationwide, including Cambridge to Huntingdon A14 upgrade, Smart Motorways and Roads Investment Programmes through the Collaborative Delivery Framework for Highways England, HS2, TRU, East West Rail and the West Midlands Shared Professional Services with a number of local authorities.
We are seeking a candidate for our NW offices (Warrington or Manchester) who is able to demonstrate a high level of civil engineering capability and can lead the technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects. You will have a background in structural and civil design, working within the UK highways and/or rail sectors with a track record of managing successful delivery on engineering design projects.
We will value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can't achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.Responsibilities:
- Lead the technical delivery of bridge and/or civil engineering projects (HE, NR and/or LA) and input into complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Use analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise different options and recommend the most suitable option.
- Oversee the production of and review high quality design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Carry out designs, design calculations, reports and specifications to industry and national standards.
- Stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards. Ensure that all design submissions produced by those under your supervision are compliant with all relevant standards.
- Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
- Responsible for the completion of projects to time and budgets.
- BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered Membership of a relevant professional body, ICE, IStructE.
- Intimate knowledge of Highways England's and/or Network Rail's processes and the various deliverables required at each stage.
- Willingness and ability to lead the technical delivery of bridge and civils design projects and relevant aspects of complex, multi-disciplinary projects.
- Sound understanding of technical principles underlying civil engineering, particularly civil engineering structures.
- Sound understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes.
- Sound understanding of Network Rail, Highways England and local authority standards and technical assurance procedures.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes, particularly Word and Excel.
- Proven track record of producing high quality deliverables with little supervision.
- Ability to prepare reports and collate specifications from all parties to the project and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports
- Relevant highways and rail industry experience of working within a design consultancy essential.Wider knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation desirable.
- Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Network Rail, Highways England, local authorities and major contractors, and have an understanding or their internal organisation and processes.
- Identify and respond to our clients values in a competitive market sector.
- Ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
- Ability to manage projects including preparing programmes and managing risk.
- Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial management skills and ability to deliver work across a range of contract types.
- Ability to develop and agree scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within set time frame.
- Awareness of the business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
- Experience in motivating teams to prioritise and deliver tasks to time and budget.
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location, including overseas for 3 to 6 months.
- Experience as designer on design and build (D&B) and/or Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) commissions.
- Experience of collaborative software (SharePoint, Business Collaborator, ProNet or Arenium).
- Experience of writing bids and offers and an understanding of the commercial risks associated with projects.
Why work for Atkins?
- We are looking for an enthusiastic individual that is willing to work in a dynamic environment as part of a wider team. The preferred individual will be able to take ownership and responsibility to lead projects, be comfortable working independently but able to seek advice from your colleagues where the job involves areas of work that are new to you.
- Our team and our business are continually looking for ways to improve how we meet our clients' needs, and encourage challenge and alternative viewpoints/approaches from all our staff. You will be required to adopt a similar mentality, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives to our team and our ways of working.
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
YourReward at SNC-Lavalin (snclavalin.com).More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed.
Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn's Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.Additional Information: This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance. Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability. #LI-UK #LI-ATKINS #LI-Transportation #BCTransportationWorker Type
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences. SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy.
SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as "SNC-Lavalin") are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.