The Building and Construction Senior Manager posts are exciting new positions within DIO UK Defence Training Estate (DTE) that will have a critical role in delivering in a Total Facilities Management context. The posts will be key to the delivery of quality projects and infrastructure services driving value for money decisions, advising on requirements, working collaboratively with customers, industry suppliers and wider DIO colleagues.
The post will provide the successful candidate the opportunity to apply their technical knowledge and skills across a UK wide and diverse estate, experiencing working on a variety of military training assets, living accommodation, catering facilities, vehicle fuel installations and responding to the military customers change lead.
The roles will be key members of the DTE team joining as the new Total Facilities Management contract is let and new working relationships are forged. The role offers an excellent opportunity to support Defence outputs through better investment in the Training Estate.
The post will be based in Warminster on Hybrid working terms however all DTE locations will be considered. The role supports the UK wide DTE and travel to sites should be expected.Location:
Alongside the advertised locations, other DIO DTE locations may be offered.About DIO
View our YouTube video to see more about our work Person specification
Essential Experience and Skills
- Provide professional technical advice, guidance and support to DTE area delivery teams on all Building and Construction Engineer elements of infrastructure enabling DTE to deliver an intelligent Buyer function.
- Support compliance and adherence with all agreed legislative, MOD and DIO statutory and mandatory standards, contractual requirements, processes and operating procedures.
- Promote and ensure high quality delivery standards for DTE Delivery staff.
- Develop requirements and solutions with key project partners, supporting pricing and procurement.
- Review technical submissions from suppliers.
- Monitor delivery of construction and infrastructure work by suppliers ensuring standards are delivered.
- Supporting project handover and resolution of issues in use.
- Undertake compliance reviews for contracted works, including planned and reactive maintenance, report findings and make recommendations for statutory and mandatory compliance as well as operational capability.
- Work with our Strategic Compliance Team in planning, undertaking and reporting on programmed and reactive assurance checks, including learning from experience and continuous improvement.
- Provide audit, inspection and assurance activity on works in progress or completed across the UK.
- Significant experience in managing Building and Construction Engineer services within a complex construction, estates or property management environment.
Essential: Full UK Driving Licence is required since travel to remote DTE sites will be required where public transport is infrequent or unavailableQualifications
Essential: A degree (BSc) in Building and Construction Engineering, or a related engineering subject relevant to the maintenance of the MOD estate OR Alternatively, BTEC/ SQAHNVQ or SCOTVEC HNC/ HND together with substantial relevant & recent experience in a construction, infrastructure or engineering related discipline.Memberships
Essential: Appropriate membership of a relevant professional body, e.g.: Chartered Institution of Building (CIOB) or Chartered Associate of Building Engineers (CABE).Behaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession - Career Framework - Facilities Management - Practitioner Level
- Government Property Profession - Career Framework - Property and Construction Project Management - Practitioner Level
Highly competitive Pension Scheme with an average employer contribution of 27%.
Alternative working practices such as working from home.
Opportunity to join one of our several D&I Networks We value diversity and are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.
25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years service.
Enhanced parental leave.
Most sites have free car parking, Sports & Social Clubs, Gym, on site shops and subsidised canteens.
To learn more about our full range of benefits, view our Candidate Information Guide attached.Allowances
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.Working Patterns
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Compressed Hours, Part-Time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.
Things you need to know Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
Applications will be sifted on all Success Profile elements, but in the event of a high number of applications, an initial sift will be conducted on Experience (CV and Personal Statement).
In this instance the remaining elements will be tested at interview.
you will be assessed against the following: Experience:
o CV detailing Job History, Full Qualification Details and Previous Skills and Experience
o Personal Statement - in no more than 250 words detailing the following Essential
Experience: Demonstrable knowledge, practical experience and previous skills in construction industry.Contract Management knowledge and previous experience. Behaviours:
o Managing a Quality Service Technical:
Government Property Profession - Career Framework - Practitioner Level
o Facilities Management
o Property and Construction Project Management
you will be assessed against the above Plus
the following: Behaviours:
o Communicating and Influencing
We want to offer opportunities to all who are successful at interview for our roles, but this isnt always possible, so we do hold candidates on an active reserve list for 12 months. It is also possible that we may offer similar lower graded role/s to reserve candidates or, if no reserves are appointed, candidates that meet the lower grade criteria in merit order.
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing: 12th December 2022
Interviews are currently taking place via Face to Face or MS Teams and will be conducted week commencing: 19th December 2022
A minimum of 2 full working days notice will be provided for interviews. We endeavour to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
1. DIO Candidate Information Guide
2. DIO Candidate Information Guide - Accessible Version
3. Government Property Profession Career Framework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Security
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .
See our vetting charter .
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.Nationality requirements
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Further information on nationality requirements Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.