What is the purpose of this role?
As an Assistant Engineer within our Structures Assessment Team based in Crawley, you'll be part of a national team that undertakes the inspections and structural assessment of a wide variety of railway structures, from bridges carrying trains over roads and waterways, to highway and footbridges crossing the railway, as well as station canopies and train sheds. These structures are part of the heritage of our country, and we need to ensure that they are safe to meet today's needs as well as tomorrow's.
What will this role involve?
* Undertake numerical analysis and calculations to determine the structural load carrying capacity;
* Proposing strengthening and maintenance options;
* Planning and undertaking bridge inspections to confirm structural details and condition;
* Developing innovative solutions to enhance inspection and technical capabilities;
* Preparing technical drawings and reports.
You will use your engineering knowledge and skills to deliver robust structural assessments, to help us inform our clients, which will enable them to continue the safe, efficient and optimal management of the capability of their structure assets.
From day one you'll be given real responsibility, gaining invaluable experience and exposure working alongside our industry experts across our multi-disciplinary teams.
You'll also be provided with a "buddy", to assist you as you settle in, and an industry expert as a professional mentor, to help guide you towards achieving your professional qualifications/accreditation.
The railway sector has always been one of our core sectors and because of our success in building and maintaining the railway, we're an industry leader in Rail services, passionate about using our skills to make a difference and continuing to win further exciting projects for you to get involved with.
What are we looking for?
* Minimum 2:2 BEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
* Passion for developing your skills both professional and personally
* Demonstrable commitment to completing an appropriate professional registration in your field (CEng/IEng)
* Strong analytical, written, communication and presentation skills
* Good interpersonal and team working skills, with evidence of problem-solving ability
* Self-motivated with the ability to plan and prioritise time
* Computer literate and interested in learning new software and developing solutions
* Commitment to work occasional nights when required
* Full driving licence
The Civils Assessment Framework Agreement (CAFA) team comprises approximately 60 Engineers and Technicians at all levels. Our core work is producing the technical assessments for all the various railway structures identified above. Our experienced engineers use a range of design tools to ensure we deliver consistent assessment results to our clients, including 3D CAD, structural analysis and Finite Element modelling systems such as Archie-M, Limit State Ring, SuperSTRESS, STAAD Pro and Lusas. As part of the assessment process, we also plan and undertake the initial inspections of these structures, using a variety of specialist access techniques, from confined spaces to rope access, and new technologies such as 3D laser scanning, 360° cameras and aerial drones to collect all the information required to complete a full structural analysis.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 14,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.
Our rewards make us feel valued here at Amey. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
* Competitive salary
* Exceptional development and progression plan
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
* Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
* Cycle to Work Scheme
* Gym Membership
* Retail Discounts.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Please contact our recruitment team to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process