Principal Engineer (Safety and Environmental)SF:
Flexible - Office Hubs situated in Bristol, Devonport & Rosyth Business Unit:
Marine Engineering & SystemsSalary:
£51520 - £63382Overall Department Direction:
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. We have built on the success of the UK MoD Type 31 Frigate and have secured contracts for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates the engineering team is actively working on other ship newbuild and life extension programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
We are looking to significantly expand our engineering and ship design teams in order to exploit these opportunities as well as our continuing work on in-service Naval platforms. If you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction, then consider Babcock for your next move.
You will join a national team of over 800 engineers and designers within the Marine Sector of Babcock. We are a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine system engineering, electrical engineering, design modelling and project support services to the marine and defence markets. We have base offices in Bristol, Rosyth or Plymouth, and offer flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirements.Main purpose of the role:
The main purpose of the role is to include but not be limited to:
What do I need to do the role:
- The provision of expert professional safety and environmental support to surface ship, submarine, equipment and commercial projects.
- The provision of governance and assurance to safety and environmental projects as directed by the Head of Department (HoD).
- The provision of expert safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems.
- The provision of robust management of the Safety and Environmental Case (SEC) body of evidence that in turn supports the argument to be made within a Safety and Environmental Case Report (SECR) that a Product, System or Service (PSS) is safe to operate and operated safely and environmentally soundly for its given application within its defined operating environment.
- The provision of support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases.
- The provision of subject matter advice and support in own specialisation to other members of the SEG.
- Planning and control of work to time, cost and quality.
The Principal Safety and Environmental Engineer is required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and extensive experience of safety and environmental assessment / management processes that are specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment in the maritime arena. Also required:
This is not a Health & Safety or SHEF type role, it requires extensive, knowledge, skills and experience within a relevant field. Also required:
Key Leadership/Management Skills
- Substantial experience in an environmental protection role and experience of developing an Environmental Management System (e.g., ISO14001 or POEMS compliant).
- Extensive working knowledge of environmental issues & legislation.
- Working knowledge of MOD Health Safety and Environmental Protection (HS&EP) Policy and regulations particularly the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management Systems (ASEMS) Project Oriented Safety Management Systems (POEMS) and Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
- Working knowledge of applicable Defence Standards and Joint Service Publications (JSPs) such as 00-056 (Safety Management Requirements for Defence Systems) and JSP 418 (Management of Environmental Protection in Defence).
- Working knowledge of Defence Safety Authority (DSA) Policy and Defence Domain specific Regulations (particularly the Defence Maritime Regulator (DMR).
- The authoring of Technical Reports.
- Chairmanship and recording of technical meetings.
- Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills.
Key Interpersonal and Behavioural Skills
- Good people management skills.
- Good team player but able to plan and work alone.
- Prepared and able to make decisions in own sphere of responsibility.
- Displays flexibility, enthusiasm, drive and commitment.
- Professional in all actions.
- Able to produce outputs to Quality, Time and Budget.
- Good influencing skills and customer focus.
- Committed to ensuring design safety and prepared to challenge output when required.
- Desire to learn new skills in support of role.
- Ideally degree qualified; but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered.
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g., IEMA, IMechE, RINA, IET, SARS etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards).
- Ideally an ASEMS POEMS and IEMA qualified Practitioner.
- Hold the Defence Maritime Regulators (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certificate.
Consideration will also be given to those who may not meet all the requirements outlined above but are willing to undertake further development and training as required. Application Guidance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure were compliant with the latest government advice. Babcock will be continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to protect our employees, by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we may face.
You will have advance notice should we wish to arrange an interview with you and more information will be provided regarding the format by the recruitment team.
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.Company Information
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. The Marine Sector delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services. Ranging from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training delivered through unique owned and managed infrastructure to defence and civil customers across the globe.
Babcock International Group is committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fit your specific needs.#LI-POST