Senior Engineer (Safety and Environmental)SF:
Bristol Business Park - Other locations will be consideredBusiness Unit:
Marine Engineering & SystemsOverall Department Direction
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. We have built on the success of the UK MoD Type 31 Frigate and have secured contracts for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates the engineering team is actively working on other ship newbuild and life extension programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
We are looking to significantly expand our engineering and ship design teams in order to exploit these opportunities as well as our continuing work on in-service Naval platforms. If you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction, then consider Babcock for your next move.
You will join a national team of over 800 engineers and designers within the Marine Sector of Babcock. We are a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine system engineering, electrical engineering, design modelling and project support services to the marine and defence markets. We have base offices in Bristol, Rosyth or Plymouth, and offer flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirementsMain purpose of the role
The role is within our complex shipbuilding programme, developing designs through concept and early-stage design as well as supporting the bidding process. The role is for a Senior Safety & Environmental Engineer, which will require but not be limited to:
- Provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to engineering and ship design teams.
- Production of safety and environmental cases.
- Provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems.
- Support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases.
- Plan and control of work to Quality, Time and Budget.
- Provide expertise and support in own engineering specialisation to other members of the safety team.
In addition, you will belong to the wider engineering capability group and will have the opportunity to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on longer term career development.What do I need to do the role:
This is not a Health & Safety or SHEF type role, it requires an extensive engineering background in a relevant field. Also required:
- A working knowledge of MOD Health Safety and Environmental Protection (HS&EP) Policy and regulations including the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management Systems (ASEMS) (POSMS & POEMS) and the Defence Safety Authority (DSA) Policy and Defence Domain specific Regulations (particularly the Defence Maritime Regulator (DMR).
- A working knowledge of applicable Defence Standards and Joint Service Publications (JSPs) such as 00-056 (Safety Management Requirements for Defence Systems) and JSP 418 (Management of Environmental Protection in Defence).
- Authoring of Technical Reports.
- Chairmanship and recording of technical meetings.
- Experience of constructing a safety argument via the Goal Structured Notation, /Claims/Argument/Evidence techniques.
- Experience of facilitating/undertaking Hazard Identification and Assessment exercises using some or all of the following:
- Structured What If Technique (SWIFT).
- Hazard and Operability Studies (HazOpS).
- Fault Tree Analysis.
- Event Tree Analysis.
- Failure Mode Effect & (Criticality) Analysis (FME(C)A).
- Good knowledge of Naval Engineering in RN ships and/or submarines would be advantageous.
- Experienced in multidisciplinary engineering environment.
- Knowledge of environmental issues & legislation would be an advantage.
- Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills.
- Key leadership/management skills.
- Good people management skills.
- Good team player but able to plan and work alone.
- Prepared and able to make decisions in own sphere of responsibility.
- Key Interpersonal and behavioural skills
- Displays flexibility, enthusiasm, drive and commitment.
- Professional in all actions.
- Able to produce outputs to Quality, Time and Budget.
- Good influencing skills and customer focus.
- Committed to ensuring design safety and prepared to challenge output when required.
- Desire to learn new skills in support of role.
- Ideally degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered.
- Preferably already hold the Defence Maritime Regulators (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certification (training will be arranged if required).
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, RINA, IET, SARS etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards)..
Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.Application Guidance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure were compliant with the latest government advice. Babcock will be continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to protect our employees, by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we may face.
You will have advance notice should we wish to arrange an interview with you and more information will be provided regarding the format by the recruitment team.
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.Company Information
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. The Marine Sector delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services. Ranging from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training delivered through unique owned and managed infrastructure to defence and civil customers across the globe.
Babcock International Group is committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fit your specific needs.#TYPE31PL2022