Due to a healthy forward workload, my clients are looking to recruit a Principal Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologists in their Newcastle office. The successful candidate will hold a key and permanent position in the team and help manage the geotechnical workload. They will also be responsible for continued development of more junior staff and the client base.
A practical and dedicated Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist is required to assist in managing a growing geotechnical and environmental team comprising of engineering geologists, and geo-environmental and geotechnical engineers. The successful candidate should have strong project management experience, be able to lead technical project teams, have robust technical abilities and a strong sense of customer service. Applicants should also have experience and be willing to contribute to business development. The candidate would preferably have experience in a range of sectors, including infrastructure, industrial, residential, commercial and leisure developments, providing robust, technically sound and cost effective solutions to Clients throughout.
The successful candidate would be expected to have the following abilities and performance expectations:
· Experience in undertaking, scoping and reviewing Preliminary Risk Assessments and Intrusive Ground investigations including an understanding of currently available ground investigation, sampling and laboratory analysis techniques;
· A basic understanding of contaminated land legislation and the planning regime, with the support of geo-environmental specialist staff;
· Interpretative report writing and reviewing including a comprehensive understanding of ground models, geotechnical engineering properties and soil behaviours;
· Prepare, review and/or authorise competent Ground Investigation Reports and Geotechnical Design Reports;
· A thorough understanding in the assessment and detailed design of:
- Slope stability;
- Foundations (shallow and deep);
- Earthworks Specification
- Reinforced Earthworks
- Retaining Structures;
- Soil & Rock engineering;
- Ground improvement;
- Ground movement and settlement/subsidence;
- Mineral workings and natural cavities;
- Temporary works (e.g. crane bases, working platforms).
· Experience in considering construction techniques and constraints and value engineering appraisals;
· Ability to deliver projects and work within a multi-disciplinary consultancy, with awareness of structural, civil, transport, planning and landscape architecture capabilities in the wider firm;
· Ability to provide technically sound and commercially focussed proposals and reports based on a clear understanding of clients requirements;
· Experience in client facing roles, developing good working relationships with other professionals within wider project teams and an enthusiasm towards business development and marketing.
Candidates would be expected to be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office suite. A good working knowledge of AutoCAD, ArcGIS, RocScience (Slide, RocFall), Oasys (pDisp, Xdisp), gINT, PLAXIS and Wallap software is expected.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
A good degree in Earth Sciences, Geology or Civil Engineering is required. An MSc in Geotechnics or Engineering Geology or a related subject would be beneficial but is not essential. Candidates are expected to be chartered/near chartered.
** SALARY IS SUBJECT TO CANDIDATES LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE **
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £45,000.00-£55,000.00 per year
Cycle to work scheme
Private medical insurance
Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
Newcastle upon Tyne: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location