Stormwater Program Manager
- City of Lancaster
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania (US)
- 65000 - 120000
- Closing date
- Mar 7, 2023
- Position Type
- Program Manager
- Organization Type
The Stormwater Program Manager is responsible for providing overall coordination and oversight of the City’s Bureau of Stormwater Management and the Stormwater Management Fund. This position performs advanced professional level work and administrative work in support of other City Departments that have a role in stormwater permit compliance.
The Stormwater Program Manager is also responsible for the management, supervision, evaluation and oversight of associated professional and administrative staff, including Green Infrastructure, Stormwater Permitting, Policies and Regulations and the Urban Tree Canopy.
Examples Of Essential Duties
- Manages the Bureau of Stormwater Management and assures compliance with regulatory and oversight entities.
- Manages the City’s nationally recognized Green Infrastructure Program, which leverages GI BMPs as well as the Urban Tree Canopy to affect environmentally driven stormwater management.
- Manages City’s Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) and stormwater management program, and coordinates the team that executes it, including training and supporting continuous learning.
- Manages the credits and appeals pertaining to the utility, Assures – by utilizing tools including water quality monitoring -- that the City’s MS-4 and CSS programs are in compliance and permitted in accordance with City and PADEP (Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection) requirements.
- Most importantly this position will grow the Stormwater program through innovative and forward thinking, bringing ideas and an inquisitive mind to the craft of Stormwater Management.
- Administer Stormwater Management Fund and Capital Improvement Program, strategically planning and budgeting for same.
- Review, oversight and technical coordination. Reviews and facilitates reviews of development plans, and design of stormwater infrastructure consistent with: Stormwater Design and Construction standards manual, zoning ordinances, inspections, maintenance, monitoring and conformance with other oversight entities.
- Responsible for the management of the Stormwater Monitoring Program.
- Customer Service and Stakeholder Management. Manages high quality customer-centered service process, and provides customer support and technical assistance in aid of community engagement and education for citizens, property-owners, land developers, design professionals, city staff and others related to stormwater management, adequate drainage issues and environmental elements.
- The City of Lancaster has fully embraced a Public Engagement ethos, and this position shall develop and oversee a comprehensive education and outreach program that engages residents and property owners to become part of the solution
- Manages Design and Construction projects and Initiatives. Manages projects during design and construction; attends regular project progress meetings; works with consultants, contractors and work crews to resolve problems and implement solutions, assists with field decisions and approves change orders as appropriate.
- Prepares reviews and processes change orders for changes to contracted scope of work; monitors adherence to project schedules; inspects quality of construction work and materials; coordinates final inspections with contractors and engineers; and facilitates project acceptance with other City departments or government agencies.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, with emphasis in Water Resources and/or Environmental Engineering. Include additional knowledge in Stormwater.
- May include public administration or related field, and extensive professional experience, including supervisory and project management experience.
- 6-10 years of experience in Public works or municipal government.
Licenses and Certificates
- Professional Engineer, Civil Water Resources and/or Environmental Engineer, upon hire
- CPESC – Certified Professional Erosion and Sediment Control Certificate, within 12 months of hire.
- CPMSM – Certified Professional in Municipal Stormwater Manager Certificate, within 12 months of hire.
- Pennsylvania State Driver’s License, within 6 months of hire
- Duties are performed primarily in an office setting with some field work required. Requires occasional walking over rough terrain and the ability to travel among various work sites.
Safety Equipment Used or Needed
- Personal protective equipment (i.e., hard hat, safety glasses, boots, etc.) while on a construction site and hard hat and safety vest while on roadways.
- This position may require up to 5% travel required.
- This description was prepared to indicate the kinds of activities and levels of work difficulty required of positions in this class. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of safe practices related to Public Works: operates equipment safely and reports any unsafe work condition or practice to supervisor.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of supervision and management.
- Considerable knowledge of land and engineering survey systems, methods, and techniques. Considerable knowledge of departmental policies, procedures, and technical standards.
- Positive interpersonal skills are required.
- Proven ability to coordinate the work of project personnel.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees, contractors, and the public.
- Proven ability to prepare complex technical reports.
- Proven ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs.
- Proven ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement.
- Proven ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Proven ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Proven computer literacy and ability to operate keyboard, surveying equipment, telephone and other basic office and/or job-related equipment.
- Ability to present data, reports and best communicate compliance with regulatory requirements.
- ability to adapt to new or changing situations while maintaining a commitment to excellence.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert