Primary Functions and Job Details
Responsible for developing, implementing, managing, and coordinating new and sustainable initiatives across various business operations of the City of Lancaster to ensure the City remains on the forefront of sustainability, resiliency, efficiency, and environmental responsibility. This position directly manages the Bureau of Solid Waste and Recycling, including the City’s Recycling Drop-Off Center. Plans, develops and administers the City’s recycling, solid waste, waste reduction, composting, litter reduction, and graffiti programs.
Examples Of Essential Duties
- Provides expertise and advanced planning efforts related to the efficient and sustainable Business Operations of the Solid Waste & Recycling Bureau and other Bureaus and Departments of the City as directed.
- Develops, implements, and manages new initiatives related to waste reduction, energy savings, emissions reductions, pollution and litter reduction, and other initiatives related to the City’s Climate Action Plan.
- Coordinate with various departments to monitor the environmental impact of the City’s business operations, and make sound recommendations or develop detailed plans or programs to improve the City’s operations to ensure fiscally-responsible and environmentally-responsible business operations.
- Serve as a liaison to the Department of Public Works for initiatives outlined in the City’s Climate Action Plan. Develop a series of recommendations for review by Bureau Chiefs and Senior Management.
- Manages the implementation and enforcement of all applicable federal, state and local solid waste, recycling and waste reduction laws.
- Manages contracts including the City’s solid waste and recycling collection contract and the contracts for marketing the City’s recyclable materials; monitors the work of contractors.
- Manages the hauler permitting program.
- Manages the City’s yard waste collection program.
- Develops marketing and public education of the City’s Sustainability efforts, recycling and litter programs, including Solid Waste, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection Programs, Keep Lancaster Beautiful Program, Litter Prevention Program, Adopt A Block Program, Graffiti Abatement Program, and Recycling Drop-Off Center Program.
- Plans, makes policy recommendations and implements the recycling program.
- Plans and prepares the annual budget for the Solid Waste Fund.
- Serves as a liaison to other City Bureaus and local, state and federal agencies and other organizations on solid waste, recycling, litter and graffiti related matters.
- Coordinates and oversees field and professional staff activities.
- Seeks and applies for various grants for funding; administers grants and other revenues to the Solid Waste Fund.
- Provides education and enforcement of City solid waste and recycling ordinances.
- Provides recycling technical assistance to non-residential establishments.
- Conducts research and development of new initiatives to improve and expand the solid waste and recycling program.
- Measures program performance and provides periodic reports to local, State and Federal authorities such as PA Department of Environmental Protection.
- Works with Lancaster Solid Waste Management Authority for household hazardous waste programs and other waste management and recycling programs established through the County Solid Waste Plan, including data management and procurement of recycling containers and yard waste bags.
- Serves as the Appeal Officer for the Property Violation Notice (PVN) program including investigating appeals, rendering decisions and preparing response correspondence.
Education, Training and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree with major course work in Sustainability, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering, Public Administration, or closely related field is required.
- Master’s Degree is Preferred.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in conception, implementation, management and promotion of recycling and solid waste programs is required.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience is preferred.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in program development, implementation, and program management related to efficient and sustainable business practices is required.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience is preferred.
- Three (3) years’ experience with supervision of a staff of five (5) or more individuals is required.
- Experience with bargaining employees is preferred.
Licenses and Certificates
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is required.
- Possession of “Certified Recycling Professional” status through the Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania or must be achieved within two (2) years of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to manage multiple concurrent, complicated projects is required.
- Proven ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in oral, written and graphic form is required.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations relating to recycling and solid waste management is required.
- Proven ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English is required.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate successfully with others is required.
- Proven ability to adapt to new or changed situations and to show flexibility in making improvements in work processes and operations is required.
- Proven ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs is required.
- Proven ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement is required.
- Proven ability to conceptualize and think broadly, while producing work that is detailed and accurate is required.
- Proven ability to follow safe practices in the performance of position duties is required.
- Proven working knowledge of the waste hauling and recycling collection and processing industry is required; familiarity with the collection systems in Lancaster County is desired.
- Proven understanding of the recycling industry to recognize industry trends and incorporate concepts into the program is required.
- Proven commitment to recycling and a conservation ethic is required.
- Proficiency using Microsoft suite is required.
- Indoors, environmentally controlled work in a typical office setting with computer, telephone and other office equipment use approximately 90% of the time.
- Outdoors, exposed to inclement weather and extreme temperature approximately 10% of the time.
- Exposure to noise, pollution.
- Requires occasional lifting of 25 pounds.
Safety Equipment Used or Needed
- Standard equipment used for performing various functions will be provided, including Personal Protective Equipment such as hardhats, gloves, safety glasses, ear protection, rain gear, and steel toed safety shoes.
- This description was prepared to indicate the kinds of activities and levels of work difficulty required of positions in this class. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.