Public Improvements Engineer
- Park City Municipal Corporation
- Park City, Utah
- $105,800 - $125,700 annual salary
- Closing date
- Feb 3, 2023
- Planning & Development
- Position Type
- Organization Type
Under the direction of the City Engineer and with office support from the Engineering Department, provides technical expertise as the City’s representative for reviewing plans for private-sector-built public improvements and inspecting private-sector construction projects. Provides plan review for private improvement projects, manages inspections services, and GIS oversight, if required. These projects range from small pipelines, grading, and street projects to quality assurance on multi-million dollar real-estate developments and public improvements.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
- Supervises and provides technical expertise in the review of plans for private-sector-built public improvements and plat maps. Applies conditions of approval for the Planning Commission and any City Council decisions to the plans for the construction of private projects, using professional judgment in interpreting such conditions. Coordinates plan reviews and comments with the assigned staff planner and other affected departments, such as Public Works. Represents the City Engineer on private-sector development projects. Enforces conditions of project approval.
- Oversees the City’s Neighborhoods First – Streets program, a community-based approach to applying traffic calming solutions within a neighborhood. Coordinates, reviews, and approves submitted citizen applications. Conducts committee meetings. Manages any capital projects that result from citizens' requests.
- Supervises and provides managerial and technical assistance for monitoring the installation of utilities in Park City, proposed by Rocky Mountain Power, Questar, Qwest, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, and SBWRD. Issues permit for utility work within rights-of-way or easements. Inspects utility activities to protect the interests of Park City and its residents. Assists the City Engineer with managing the Old Town Streets and Utilities Master Plan and its related projects, as well as other public capital projects. The City Engineer will need to monitor Council budget discussions to evaluate the Council’s intent on construction projects.
- Oversees and upkeeps the adopted stormwater models, responding to requests for flow data, and modifying the model to reflect new construction. Reviews or oversees the review of submitted storm water pollution prevention plans.
- As requested, attends routine meetings with the City Engineer.
- Reviews and oversees the updating of the Park City “Construction Specification, Design Standards, and Standard Drawings” on an Annual Basis.
- Supervises the consulting inspectors and the Park City Public Improvements Inspector as necessary to attempt to achieve the optimum degree of quality in the constructed project subject to the constraints of budgets and state-of-the-art construction techniques.
- Maintains relationships with managers at PCMC to obtain knowledge of job-related activities.
- Assists with preparing the departmental budgets and participate in the discussions and negotiations surrounding the adoption of the general budget for Park City.
- Physical ability to access all portions of construction sites.
- Attends other meetings and performs other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of civil engineering and engineering survey and design Working knowledge of drafting Working knowledge of public works construction Working knowledge of computer applications to engineering Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions, and the public Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing Ability to effectively supervise, train and evaluate personnel Ability to work collaboratively in a self-managed team environment
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Utah required within 6 months of initial hire date
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or closely related field from an accredited university
- 5+ years responsible employment in direct charge of civil design, budgeting, construction, and management of heavy civil construction projects
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Software
- Valid Utah State Driver’s License
- Ability to obtain City NIMS certifications (IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, IS-800, ICS-300, ICS-400)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert