Summary of Job:
Under the direction of the Director – Capital Programs in the Construction & Engineering Department, this position is responsible for managing the assigned capital construction projects implemented by the System Development Division.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prioritizes, plans, schedules, and oversees the inspection work for assigned projects within the Capital Programs section, including but not limited to facilities, road, bridge, ferry, transit, Skyway infrastructure, bicycle infrastructure, pedestrian infrastructure, multiuse trails, and pedestrian safety capital improvements.
- Manages the safety, quality, permitting, right-of-way acquisition, project bidding, scheduling, cost control, payment certification, commissioning, closeout, and acceptance of the assigned projects.
- Coordinates the work of engineering personnel, designers, manufacturers, construction engineering and inspection team, independent testing agencies, and contractors on assigned projects. Ensures that safety and quality are established as project priorities.
- Develops and maintains project budgets and cost estimates for assigned projects. Participates in and leads bid document reviews, design optimization reviews and value engineering of capital project designs performed by Authority consultants.
- Participates in a leading role in pre-bid conferences held for assigned projects.
- Procures professional and construction services in accordance with JTA guidelines. Develops contract scopes and evaluates and negotiates fee proposals and schedules for construction contracts, to achieve desired project objectives.
- Manages design contracts to ensure complete, quality and timely submittals. Ensures right-of-way acquisition, permits and other requirements are obtained prior to scheduled construction.
- Reviews and approves contractor and consultant invoices and evaluates actual periodic performance against project schedule. Ensures that earned value reporting of progress is maintained on a monthly basis. Verifies invoices are accurate and required documentation is obtained prior to approval.
- Ensures that thorough project records are kept and maintained within the appropriate department network folders sand software application(s) throughout the life of the project, and monitors change and claim activity.
- Responsible for leading the activity of reviewing and analyzing contractor change requests and claims for time and cost. Prepares the Authority’s position and recommendation for negotiations with the contractor. Maintains an updated list of Potential Change Orders at all times during construction.
- Assists the Program Manager in conducting public meetings and makes presentations relating to the construction plans and progress. Prepares responses to public information requests and concerns regarding the construction work.
- Conducts periodic construction field reviews to assess progress, check the job site safety and security, and verify that environmental requirements are being managed. Prepares reports detailing the construction review and makes recommendations to the Director – Capital Programs on issues requiring resolution.
- Manages the construction and engineering inspection teams on assigned projects to ensure proper construction management of JTA projects from contract Notice to Proceed to contract closeout, and handover.
- Manages the review and response to requests for information from the contractor. Ensures that responses are appropriate, thorough, and timely.
- Ensures that field inspections, reports, pay estimates, contractor requests, claims, etc. are responded to in a professional and timely manner.
- Ensures the timely submission of project record documents and drawings. Responsible for managing the review and comment activity associated with the submissions.
- Coordinates the completion, facility occupancy and handover process with the project owners. Ensures that all remaining open punch items are completed to the satisfaction of the Authority.
- Responsible for the preparation of periodic updates of the project progress and challenges/issues for assigned projects.
- Provides solutions and recommended actions to the Director – Capital Programs to address conflicts and issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
- Provides oversight of contractors and consultants.
- Ensures compliance with key FTA, City and FDOT specifications.
- Ensures compliance with Disadvantaged Business Enterprise requirements.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Conforms with all safety rules and wears/uses all appropriate safety equipment.
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or a related industry field and a minimum of eight years progressively responsible Engineering or Construction Management experience. Florida Professional Engineer’s Registration or the ability to obtain is preferred. A minimum of five years of prior experience in roadway construction is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess JTA leadership characteristics; including but not limited to, customer focused, innovative, strategic thinker and a team player.
- Sound practice and knowledge of project planning, development, design, engineering and construction management methods, practices and principles relating to highway, building, transit and bridge construction
- Knowledge of grant funding and award requirements
- Possess scope control and change management proven knowledge
- Ability to conduct field visits to ensure and document compliance with codes and laws.
- Ability to review, understand and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with sensitivity, passion and a focus on unity and equity.
- A track record in budget management, stewardship and developing proven strategies to build multi-faceted external affairs and development programs.
- Strong organizational, analytic and strategic-thinking skills with demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex plans and translate those plans into goals and concrete methods and strategies.
- A career track record that shows stability with an organization and the capacity to develop and nurture relationships that culminates into overall success.
- Ability to communicate and interact with audiences at various levels.
- Ability to lead a team, or be a participant, regardless of position within the Authority.
- Sound familiarity of basic federal, state and local construction codes and laws with knowledge of FDOT requirements preferred.
- Knowledge regarding testing of materials and inspection process.
- Advanced proficiency in the operation of a personal computer with preferred project management software experience.
- Ability to clearly communicate with contractors and consultants.
- Sit and or stand for prolonged periods. Perform repetitive motion.
Safety Requirements & Notifications:
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To apply for this vacancy, you must go to www.jtafla.com/work-with-jta/careers/ and create a user account and profile -- then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
- DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1 FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2 FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.