Summary of Job:
Jacksonville is poised to “build” on its innovative transportation efforts, following a $12.5 million grant
awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). This grant is being used towards first phase of
the 'U2C' Ultimate Urban Circulator program known as the Bay Street Innovation Corridor Project. The entire
program will interconnect various neighborhoods through the downtown core of Jacksonville by leveraging
autonomous vehicles and re-purposing of existing Skyway infrastructure.
The Director of Automation & QA is responsible for supporting the VP/Chief Automation Officer and AVP
in managing the Authority’s all aspects of Test & Learn Program. Additionally, U2C Program planning,
design, procurement, manufacture, installation and construction. This role will have a cross-functional
working relationship with many other Divisions and will collaborate accordingly on all related projects in
support of the U2C program and JTA initiatives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages and coordinates all aspects of Quality Assurance, AV testing, research and development in support of project development, funding alternatives, design, procurement, and construction phases of U2C projects.
- Identifies project requirements, develops scope of work for 'T&L' Test & Learn projects and manages project development by continued communications with all members of the team to promote success of the program.
- Procures the necessary planning, engineering, technical systems, integrator, and financial advisory consultant services in accordance with JTA, state and federal guidelines. Negotiates schedules, scopes and fees for T&L contracts.
- Manages and coordinates the efforts of all team members associated with the Test & Lean and U2C program.
- Manage all project correspondence, records and budgets. Makes regular reports on status of projects, schedules, budgets and concerns, including recommending remedies if objectives cannot be met.
- Ensures timely completion of Test reports and reviews by the team.
- Maintains a documentation and reporting system for all T&L projects with a clear process for early identification and reporting of any variations from plan.
- In coordination with staff within Planning, Skyway Operations, and Maintenance identifies needed long-range transportation needs to support the authority’s strategic vision.
- Develops strategic goals, objectives and milestones of the T&L -U2C program and actively monitors and ensures achievement of key milestones for the goals and objectives.
- Identifies funding opportunities and strategies to secure required funding for all associated capital initiatives resulting from the development of the T&L program.
- Advises the ELT and key stakeholders about any process changes needed in response to changing conditions.
- Assures the effective delivery of the JTA's vision, mission, brand management and organizational sustainability.
- Remains current on new industry trends, methods and technologies.
- Performs mandatory storm/disaster job related functions that are essential to the Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) and/or the EOC.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervisory & Operational Authority:
- This position has supervisory and operational authority over JTA personnel performing work functions on any capital initiative/project under the U2C program and may receive direct reports assigned during the course of the program implementation.
- Responsible for completing all mandatory training classes.
- Responsible for reviewing and complying with all JTA policies, procedures and directives.
- Responsible for ensuring all direct reports have taken all mandatory training.
Required/ Preferred Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, architecture, or a related management degree with a minimum of seven years comprehensive experience. An advanced degree is preferred with prior Sr. Management experience demonstrating sound experience related to transit/transportation, engineering and construction programs, and sound knowledge of new transportation technologies.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Possess JTA’s 12 Leadership Characteristics: Good Communicator, Change Agent, Critical Thinker, High Energy, Accountable, Engaged, Team Player, Inspirational, Customer Focused, Courageous, Innovative and Strategic Thinker.
- Ability to work collaboratively to enhance JTA’s reputation for excellence through best practices, reviews, accountability for performance and continuous improvement.
- Strong organizational, analytic and strategic-thinking skills with demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex plans and translate those plans into goals and concrete methods and strategies.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing, with sensitivity, passion and a focus on unity and equity.
- Knowledge of or ability to become familiar with Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulations.
- Knowledge of or ability to become familiar with pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including applicable Florida Statutes and other laws related to the use of public funds and tax laws.
- Ability to be technologically savvy and use resources necessary to make the organization more efficient and competitive.
- Proven management ability encompassing the development and implementation of strategic goals and objectives, setting and evaluating priorities.
- A strong work ethic to produce a focused, dedicated work team - among both internal and external stakeholders - with a focus on collaboration, mentoring, nurturing and the delivery of exceeded goals.
- Ability to understand the overall design of the transit network to efficiently and effectively implement development options.
- Ability to conduct analysis and manage projects.
- Sit for prolonged periods.
- Perform repetitive motion.
Safety Requirements & Notifications:
The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is a public transit service provider governed by requirements of the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and Department of Transportation (DOT).
Due to the nature of some work performed at the JTA/JTM some jobs are classified as ‘Safety Sensitive’ and are subject to random testing for drug and alcohol use. All offers for employment are required to undergo pre-employment and possible random drug testing. If test shows a positive result your application for employment will be rejected, or if hired, employment may be terminated.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
To apply for this vacancy, you must go to www.jtafla.com/work-with-jta/careers/ and create a user account and profile -- then apply for the specified job opening. Applications are considered for 90 days. The Jacksonville Transportation Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- M/F/D/V.
Preference in appointment is available to eligible veterans, disabled veterans and spouses of disabled veterans. Applicants claiming preference must attach the following applicable forms with their resume at the time application in order to receive the preference.
- DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) FDVA Veterans Preference Certification Form VP-1 FDVA Certificate of Current Member of Reserve Form VP-2 FDVA Certification of Unremarried Widow or Widower Form VP-3
It is the responsibility of the applicant to disclose true and accurate information on their account profile and/or resume. Falsification of this information may lead to your disqualification from vacancy consideration and/or termination of employment.