$73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
Sioux City - 51101 - Woodbury County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
2/2/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Darwin Bishop, Darwin.Bishop@iowadot.us
- Job Description
Are you seeking to apply your knowledge and experience towards making a difference? The Iowa DOT’s Mission is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. You will have the opportunity to contribute your skills towards Iowa DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception alongside a supportive team.
Location: Sioux City, District 3 office
Work hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 AM - 4:30 PM. Hours may vary, and some overtime may be required. Some overnight travel required.
This position serves as the Iowa Department of Transportation's District 3 Materials Engineer who is responsible for materials-related oversight of Iowa DOT highway and bridge projects within a 19-county area in Northwest Iowa. The District Materials Engineer is responsible for leading the inspection, sampling, and testing of project materials, running the district materials testing laboratory, monitoring production from highway material sources, overseeing material documentation-related portions of project audits, and providing technical consultation. This position serves as a team leader for the District 3 Materials Office which includes 10 permanent employees.
What We Offer You:
- Oversight of all materials inspection, sampling and testing activities by District Materials Office staff.
- Inspection and monitoring oversight of project-specific portable pavement recycling plants, PCC plants and HMA plants, and aggregate production facilities
- Provides highway materials technical assistance through consultation to a variety of customers, including Iowa DOT staff, County/City/Consultant staff, contractors, and materials producers.
- Oversight of the project materials audit process.
- Oversight of the Independent Assurance Program (IAP) for materials testing in the District.
- Oversight of the District's Technical Training and certification program, including some direct training duties as needed.
- Oversight and management of the District Materials Office operating budget.
- Involvement in technical committees and work groups to improve Department specifications, processes and policies.
- Competitive pay and benefits package including health, dental, flexible spending, and life insurance
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment - Monthly insurance premium (Iowa Choice*):
Single: $54/mo. employee share; $715/mo. state share
Family: $180/mo. employee share; $1,624.00/mo. state share
*Other insurance options available. Please review HERE
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid classes to aid passing the Professional engineering exam
- Paid time off effective immediately - Biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 10 paid holidays per year
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) Retirement Package with employer match
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions
- Employee Discount Programs from variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling; legal, financial)
- Company provided vehicles for all work-related activities
- Flexible work opportunity: This position is located in the Sioux City District 3 office. Part time telework, in accordance with DOT policies, is possible.
- For non-state of Iowa employees, starting pay is negotiable within pay scale range, based on years of experience above the minimum qualifications.
- Understanding of engineering principles in many areas including knowledge to evaluate and monitor sources of highway materials to ensure they meet Specification and Materials Instructional Memorandum requirements.
- Specific knowledge of highway construction methods, inspection, and materials sources.
- Successfully utilizes electronic tools (computers, tablets, smart phones, other technologies) to perform engineering tasks
Excited to join the Iowa DOT team? Apply today!
- A valid Drivers License must be possessed and maintained.
- Licensure by the Iowa Board of Engineering Examiners as a Professional Engineer. This licensure must be valid and in good standing at the time of hire and be maintained for employment.
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.
2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.
3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
Additional Qualification Requirements
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.