A vacancy exists for a Structural Engineer to join a multi-disciplinary engineering team, working on one of the major Combat Air Programmes in BAE Systems. Structural Engineers are involved in a range of activities, which are described generically below, the role includes one of more of them
• Interpretation and understanding of aircraft load paths and the development process associated with the generation of efficient structural layout,
• Development, Analysis, and Management of aircraft Global Finite Element models and the application of external and internal loads
• Application of structural optimisation analysis
• The specification and analysis of the structural building block test requirements aligned to the Aircraft Structural Integrity Plan
• Fatigue analysis
• Applying and understanding materials properties, and associated manufacturing processes necessary to generate efficient structural layouts
The successful candidate will be required to perform tasks suitable to the internal level of this role. The role will contain, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Working within an Airframe / Air Vehicle Systems team to discharge structural engineering activities across the various work packages/projects, in line with the appropriate programme.
• Develop internal schedules and planning activities.
• Manage own workload to ensure task delivery to agreed programme, planned cost & to a high quality.
• Build & develop strong working relationships with other team members & external stakeholders.
• Attending and supporting internal and external engineering related reviews as required.
• Support a culture of continuous improvement.
• Degree, HND or equivalent and approximately 3-5 years' experience in a relevant Engineering discipline.
• Work with minimal supervision, be pro-active, diligent, and have strong team-working & communications skills and be committed to a delivery culture
• Problem solving skils and a Proactive approach to problem solving
• Experience of working in a collaborative environment with internal and external stakeholders
• Experience in some of the following activities:
- Structural Integrity, including mass management, stress, fatigue, GFEM/DFEM, structural tests for development and validation activities
• The ability to respond positively to unforeseen changes will be key to maintaining a positive and responsive working environment
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
• Competent in the use of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools, and / or numerical structural analysis / simulation toolset
• Experience/knowledge of engineering processes & standards
• Knowledge of the Engineering Lifecycle and typical aircraft development lifecycle