The City of Chandler Public Works & Utilities Department is currently seeking qualified individuals interested in joining our leadership team as the Assistant Director of Public Works & Utilities. This leadership role will oversee the Public Works Division's capital improvement projects, transportation, streets maintenance and storm water functions for the City. Work schedule will be standard Monday through Friday, but other flexible schedules may be possible. This position is full-time, benefitted, and serves at the pleasure of the City Manager.
Salary: $126,593 - $183,559 Annually DOE
City of Chandler
Chandler, the fourth largest City in Arizona, is located in one of the fastest growing innovation and technology centers in the nation. Chandler is a vibrant, diverse, fiscally responsible community with a supportive business climate that attracts global industry leaders, exciting startups, talented workers, and their families. In addition to being a great place to live, play and work our local hotels, resorts, golf courses, restaurants and ample shopping opportunities make Chandler one of Arizona's great vacation spots.
Who we are
The Public Works Division manages design and construction activities for the City’s capital improvement programs and is responsible for the maintenance and operations of the City’s right-of-way and transportation facilities. The Public Works team oversees the planning, design, installation, maintenance and operation of all signs, pavement marking's, traffic signals, intelligent transportation systems and roadway lighting for all City Streets. The Capital Improvements team oversees the management and coordination of the orderly design and construction of the City's capital infrastructure in the Capital Improvement Program, including procurement of professional services, design, construction and construction management for transportation, utilities, public buildings, community services and other general government improvements.
Who we are looking for
Our new team leader will have a passion for customer service, teamwork, and collaboration. The selected individual will serve as second in command, overseeing the Public Works side of the department. Work involves supervising, managing, and leading the activities and operations including overseeing fiscal, budgetary, and personnel functions as well as goal setting and policy making alongside the Public Works and Utilities Director.
1. Manages operations within the Public Works Division to develop, enhance, or sustain quality services by providing budget and program development and oversight; resolves complex issues; develops and communicates department and individual expectations, policies, procedures, and strategic direction.
2. Develops and administers budget recommendations.
3. Consults and interprets a variety of information for internal and external stakeholders.
4. Establishes, evaluates and manages division programs.
5. Conducts and reviews special projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, public administration, or a related field; and
• Valid Arizona Driver’s License with acceptable driving record; and
• Ten (10) years’ experience in civil engineering, capital projects and public works operations, including four (4) years supervisory experience; and
• Registered as a Professional Engineer by the State of Arizona with a proficiency in civil engineering; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.