Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes , keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you'll be doing
Working under the direction of a Senior Technical Manager the role will be part of the intelligent client model that Thames Water is building to achieve its AMP7 ambitions and beyond. Focusing on the environmental discipline the role will provide the expertise needed to:
- Lead the environmental de-risking of Capital Delivery projects and assure appropriate mitigation is followed.
- Produce and procure and sign off the required environmental deliverables. Typically including regulatory, sustainability, and biodiversity requirements.
- Ensure that all legal and contractual environmental requirements are fully discharged.
- Champion the continuous improvement of Capital Delivery's environmental assurance function.
- Work with the wider environmental functions in Asset Management and Operations to ensure a joined-up and consistent approach to protecting and enhancing the environment.
- Provide environmental technical assurance throughout the project lifecycle.
- Creating a culture where environmental and sustainable best practices are embedded within day-to-day activities.
- Promote continuous improvement of project environmental/sustainability performance.
- Coach and mentor others.
- Be familiar with and effectively communicate the requirements of current applicable environmental legislation and best practice.
- Willing to think innovatively and work to identify areas where processes can be improved.
- Provide support and assistance to all project personnel to enable them to manage their environmental duties and responsibilities.
We're looking for you to:
- Manage the activities of multiple disciplines in accordance with project delivery procedures.
- Check, review and sign off environmental deliverables produced by consultants and contractors.
- Raise environmental and sustainability awareness throughout Capital Delivery.
- Carry out site inspections and ensure legal compliance with applicable environmental legislation.
- Support external liaison with regulators i.e. Environment Agency, Local Authorities etc.
What's in it for you?
- Degree level (or equivalent) in an appropriate Environmental/Sustainability discipline.
- Previous experience in the Utility Industry is desirable.
- Full driving license and access to a vehicle.
- IT literate with an awareness of knowledge management.
- Member of a relevant professional body or demonstrable relevant experience in the environment and sustainability field.
- Ability to make decisions, based upon a mixture of analysis, experience and judgment.
- Ability to communicate and build strong relationships at all levels.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your well-being.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you'll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working arrangements.
We're also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities and the environment can thrive. This means, when a crisis happens, we all rally round to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you'll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an Ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues and a earn bit of extra money along the way.Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.